PDA

View Full Version : Corys laying eggs as I type!!

Ghostfeather
09-18-2011, 11:32 PM
My Corys were swimming really weird,I checked on them and saw they were mating,the female was laying eggs,2 males were just swimming around her in jerky,shaking movements,really cool to watch!!!
Now for the wait!
My tank is to heavily planted and has a couple of pieces of driftwood in it,I will let nature take it's course!!
If they hatch,there are plenty of plants and other hiding places for the babys to keep out of the way.
I would be excited if just a few made it to uneatable size!!!
All I have in the tank are a few platties,a couple of Guppies,the 3 Corys,and a couple of Amano Shrimp.it is a 20L,with all water parameters at really good levels.
We will see!!!

Helixander
09-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Heh, congrats! I started with 6 cories almost 2 years ago. As of today, I have 14 after giving 9 away to a good home. They just won't stop spawning!! lol

Lady Hobbs
09-23-2011, 03:21 PM
And I have probably 10-12 corys and have never seen one group of eggs from them even once in 3 + years! I assume they are not opposed to Mother Nature and they are probably spawning but others in the tanks are eating their eggs.

Cermet
09-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Congrats! :hmm3grin2orange: Really great - that is so nice. :19: I have read that food is an issue but Helixander knows what they can be raised on ... could you maybe post that infro? Thanks. :22:

Helixander
09-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I haven't even been trying... lol I feed tetracolor granules, algae wafers, and occasionally blanched veggies like romaine lettuce or zucchini. The tank is heavily planted and there are many hiding spots. I dunno, they just seem to like it in there I guess.

Lady Hobbs
09-24-2011, 06:16 PM
I like corys but sure wish they'd be out and about more. I see more of my otto's than I do the corys. It's nice to be able to check on your fish now and then to make sure all are healthy but my corys I might see once a week. I drop some blood worms in the tank and they come out of hiding for a short time but of course run when I near the tank. I just have too many hiding places for them, I guess.

Helixander
09-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Mine are like in a crazy circus. If you sit and watch the tank, they often go through a high activity cycle swimming everywhere for a few hours then *poof* not a cory in sight for several hours. Mine also tend to flee if you approach the tank. I should try to take a vid of them.... I found more eggs on the tank glass again today..... :help: lol