PDA

View Full Version : CHANNEL CATFISH what to add into aquarium

ThatTriggerFishGuy
09-18-2011, 11:06 PM
I have a 29 gallon wide freshwater aquarium and i was wondering what to add into it but im afraid that the catfish will eat them. i want to avoid cichlids as the previous fish in my 20 gallon tall was a lake victorian cichlid and it lasted a LONG time so im tierd of them. i was hoping to get some gourami, loaches, and maybe angelfish or a ghost knife fish... any suggestions???

genocidex
09-18-2011, 11:09 PM
ur tank is too small for a channel catfish.... 10-20 inches i think is the general size tho they can get bigger, unless im thinking of a different fish lol.

ThatTriggerFishGuy
09-18-2011, 11:15 PM
ya i know it is only 4 inces at the moment but when he gets too big i have a 35000 gallon pond in my backyard to put him in

Cliff
09-18-2011, 11:19 PM
For a 20 gallon I would suggest more along the lines of a school of tetras, like 8 diamond tetras, and a small school of some of the smaller corys

A 20 is too small for a ghost knief fish (they will get well over a foot) and it would be a little small for a angel fish

smaug
09-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Post some pics of your small lake!

KINGMED
09-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Yes, you would probably need a huge tank for such a big catfish when fully grown, they can get upwards of 30 some odd pounds in the wild and at least 3 foot long. When I was a teenager in the 70's had two very small albino channels, pair of large sailfin mollies, 3 blue gourami's (3 spot), 1 angelfish and a few other fish. This was the set up for about 2 years, the catfish got about 7 inches long each and they all did well in a 30 gallon tank filtered in those days by an undergravel filter. I'm not recommending doing this by no means but for some reason everything worked out, at least it looked that way me looking in, also I had no idea on how to do the 1" per gallon fish rule. I later sold the whole setup for 50.00, the guy wanted the channel catfish for his out door pond.

smaug
09-19-2011, 12:32 AM
I have a channel cat in my pond that hit 12 inches or more his first year. by his second year he was over 20inches. He leveled out this year [his third] at just under 2 ft. I got him in may of that first year as a 4 inch fish. If yours doesnt grow like this its because you are stunting him.

WhiteDevil
09-19-2011, 04:03 AM
If he is 4" now, throw in two dozen fatheads, they are cheap and if he eats em atleast he is getting a natural food source and one that youve fed and know is very healthy for him. If he is just being grown out a bit to go in the pond, get a small above ground pond and keep it inside. they arent expensive and im sure you can make it REALLY cheap.

Go native collecting and keep some smaller fish you net, you can get some nice rainbow darters from your local water ways, very colorful fish but that channel will eat anything it can get in its mouth(im sure you know this) so I recommend some fatheads and smaller minnows.
(lets see this 35K gallon pond:fish2: )

Goes to 11!
07-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Parkee.

PLEASE check the dates of the threads you are replying to, This one hasn't been replied to in over a year.
:22: