PDA

View Full Version : When?

jttt3
08-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Average time, using Live Rock to cycle a tank, how long doe sit take to cycle a LR tank? 24 gallon, 20lbs of live rock, pre-cured.

When can I add the more hardy corals, and when can I add 2 clown fish?

Rue
08-03-2007, 08:15 PM
4 weeks is an average to cycle with LR...but it can happen in as soon as 2...test regularily to make sure...

Once you're cycled you can add your clean-up crew...and then fish...and of course any corals you like...wait to add the stony corals last...

Although clowns and the anemone are going to be the focal point of my tank, I'm adding the anemone first (but not quite yet - another week or two to make sure my tank remains stable)...and once thre anemone has settled and is growing...then I'm adding the clowns...otherwise clowns can be too rough on a new or baby anemone...and the clowns can kill it...

Fishguy2727
08-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Make sure your lights are off and monitor your parameters, that is the most reliable way to tell when it is cured and cycled.

jttt3
08-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Paramaters look perfect, but who knows with my luck.

I am just exiting the brown diatom algae stage. I've got all kinds of wierd stuff growin in there now.

I love the worm trails in the sandthat is agianst the tank.

kkyyllee
08-04-2007, 03:55 AM
precured liverock (if it was shippe) usually tkae abnout 2-4 weeks add cuc once levels are amonia/nirtite zero and nitrate below 20 wait a week or 2 and add ur clowns, soft corals first, then stony, and anemones after 6 months if you upgrade ur lighting

unleashed
08-04-2007, 10:26 PM
when i finally get time to set up my new tank, it can be cycled within a week. I will use cured LR (been in a persons tank for about 15yrs) and add that, and NSW (natural sea water) to the tank. the LR will be kept submerged for the majority of transport to ensure limited die off. When the tank is full i will add a fish within 4-7 days and begin the long and slow process to set up a tank

kkyyllee
08-04-2007, 11:38 PM
remember to add the fish one at a time

2manyfish
08-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Was the rock shipped to you? Or did you buy it locally? What kind of readings are you getting now? We need the actual readings please.
If the rock you bought has already been cured and you bought it locally it may already be ready!

jttt3
08-05-2007, 06:07 PM
The LR was bought locally, it had been in there curing since they got it 6 weeks previous to me buying it.

Ammonia at 0, Nitrites at 0, Nitrates at 5ppm

kkyyllee
08-05-2007, 06:47 PM
ur cycled, time to get a cuc

jttt3
08-05-2007, 09:52 PM
cuc?

clean up crew?

Yep, dropped those in today. I figured might as well. 6 hermits and 4 turbo snails in the tank.

Will see how they hold out.