PDA

View Full Version : My Pleco! Type? Sex? Help?

brett_88
09-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Hey guys! This is my pleco, I am not 100% sure what type it is, and what sex, and if I can get another one without it killing the new one? Anyway, here's a pic, any information would be greatly appreciated!

Note: Tank has 2 cichlids in it also. 20 Gallon.

Sorry for poor picture quality, you've really gotta cut quality to upload when you've got a 16 mp camera haha.

Dave66
09-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Would have to see its dorsal fin up to tell which of the two it is, but it's a common pleco. One of the two reaches a foot long, the other up to two feet. Either way, it'll be far too large for a 20 gallon.

Dave

brett_88
09-17-2011, 03:47 PM
I plan on either upgrading my tank of trading in for a smaller one when he grows larger, but I figure I've got a bit of time yet, he is now about 5-6 inches long.

Lady Hobbs
09-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Please do not buy fish for a tank unless you have the tank first. Too many things happen that people get fish that will grow too large for their tank and that bigger tank never comes. Not sure what kind of cichlids you have but most of them also don't belong in a 20 gallon, either.

brett_88
09-17-2011, 04:29 PM
matter of opinion, I suppose. The cichlids are fine, healthy fish, 3 years old never any problems. There is nothing wrong with having a small pleco in a small tank for the time-being. It will take some time for the pleco to outgrow this tank, therefore, I don't see the problem.

** Also, many could argue that no household aquarium is big enough for a pleco, as they have been known to grow three feet long.

frefal13
09-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Thats exactly why most people who know plecos don't get common pleco's...they just get too big. Why don't you get a smaller variety of pleco instead? It is cruel to keep a fish that will grow that large in such a small tank, and like everyone else will say you cannot see the future so you don't know that you will actually get a larger tank...

mommy1
09-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Most can and correctly argue that the common pleco should not even be on the market to the average fish keeper since they do grow so large. It is irresponsible fish keeping to put a fish in a tank you know it will soon outgrow. A common pleco that is kept in a proper sized and well maintained tank grows much faster than you apparently think. As Lady Hobbs said, you never know what the future will bring. That larger tank you think you might get, may not happen.
It is a matter of my opinion the common pleco shouldn't be sold at all. Not only are there more appropriately sized and better looking plecos on the market, there are also far better ways to control algae, like setting up the tank properly, letting it mature, and keeping it balanced with a proper stock/plant ratio. Many plecos don't eat algae for their entire life anyway, and others that never eat it at all.

ekfishlover2011
09-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Rubber-nose plecos get up to 5 inches i think it was. 5 or 6. If you want a nice looking pleco that you never need to trade in for a smaller one or get a bigger tank for, you should get one of those. They are cool. I have one. His names Steve. :D

brett_88
09-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info! I still am not seeing a problem having it now, and when he gets bigger the lfs will take it for me and give me a smaller one in turn, so maybe i will aim for a smaller breed!

Euporie
10-19-2011, 01:12 AM
Would have to see its dorsal fin up to tell which of the two it is, but it's a common pleco. One of the two reaches a foot long, the other up to two feet. Either way, it'll be far too large for a 20 gallon.

Dave
How do you tell the difference between the common pleco that grows up to two feet or to a foot?