PDA

View Full Version : Got's a question (sailfin mollys)

TowBoater
08-03-2007, 05:59 PM
Ok, my LFS has some beautiful sailfin mollies and I am very interested in getting a pair and breeding them for using the fry as store credit there. How long and how often do these fish breed and is there a sign that I can notice and put them in a breeding tank? Need info on breeding these fellars, I am really thinking about getting a pair.

nanaglen2001
08-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Sailfin Mollies breed and behave more or less like "normal" Mollies.

In my big tank I keep some Sailfin Molly females, and I see no big difference (besides the size and colors) between them and "normal" Mollies.

But I wouldnt buy a pair, I would head for one male and three females. Also they really need spacy and high tanks, a pinch of salt is also appreciated, and Mollies love warmer water.

You will notice it when its time to separate a pregnant (do you say pregnant when it comes to animals?) female. She just looks as if she would explode in the next second. To give the fry a good chance to escape their mother, just put some handsfull of Hornwart into the breeding tank.

Durance of pregnancy 5 to 6 weeks maybe a bit more.

TowBoater
08-03-2007, 07:48 PM
I heard the tail fin turns real dark, almost black and that means it is gonna happen in a week or two. I got a male and two females(all the females they had left). Yes we say pregnant about animals to, good job, you have picked up on this language well, if you hadn't of said anything about you learning it, I would have guessed you have spoken it your whole life. I increased my temperature to 79 F and I really don't need to add salt because of snails.

crackatinny
08-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Unsure about the breeding kuli, but we have had a sailfin balloon (sinced passed) and currenty a standard sailfin molly, and botht was very aggressissive, reasearch I have done since then points to aggression with the sailfin variety

TowBoater
08-03-2007, 08:02 PM
They can't hurt anything in my tank, they are the smallest fish in there by at least 2" in length when full grown.

troy
08-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Male sailfin molly's take 1 year and a lot of space to develop their sailfins. If you don't have get some food for vegetarian fish. Not the the one pure algae eating
fish though. They also like a thin coating of algae to nibble on in their tanks. What fish do you have with your Sailfins.

TowBoater
08-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Angels, severum, pleco, and a bichir. I feed mainly vegetable based flake food when I feed flake such as spirulina and tetralgae. He has his sail grown and they all stick together and they are not bothered by any of the other fish. I had to go buy a dozen feeder shrimp today and I was wondering why they weren't chasing them.

TowBoater
08-03-2007, 08:46 PM
They are orange sail fin's apparently but they have a lot of blue in them. I will post a picture soon of them.

troy
08-03-2007, 10:16 PM
How big is the bichir?

TowBoater
08-04-2007, 12:16 AM
6-7", he is one of the most timid fish I have ever seen. Doesn't bother a thing in my tank.

troy
08-04-2007, 04:12 AM
What kind of a bichir because some get 1 foot and some get longer. The bichir might large enough to eat the sailfins.

TowBoater
08-04-2007, 11:19 AM
He is the kind that get a food, dragonfish I think. Man he won't even eat ghost shrimp.