PDA

View Full Version : are blue ring octopuses legal to own?

genocidex
09-17-2011, 01:29 AM
i know regional laws ect ect ect, but i mean in general. i know they are venomous lol. and its my favorite sw fish XD

toddnbecka
09-17-2011, 04:36 AM
Ya, they're legal, available is another matter though. I've heard of them turning up as stowaways in live rock, but I don't think they're actually collected/imported as livestock.

genocidex
09-17-2011, 04:39 AM
if i ever track one down then thats totaly gona be the reason i start a sw tank XD

Brhino
09-17-2011, 04:44 AM
I have heard that octopi have a very short life span, like 1-2 years.

Aeonflame
09-17-2011, 05:02 AM
You may want to check out this page before you get one. And Its not a fish btw

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/bluering5.php

Alasse
09-17-2011, 11:14 AM
They are a stunning creature, i've seen (and poked at with a long stick, to make them colour up) them in the wild, quite a prevalent little critter in my hometown, and drummed into all that they are not something to pat, catch or get in anyway body parts close to. When they say they will kill you dead, they are not joking. Also an interesting bit of info, you will not know the blue ring has bitten you until you are heading for ya coffin, the bite is painless. There is no antidote!

funkman262
09-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Great link Aeonflame. Very interesting.

Northernguy
09-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Great link Aeonflame. Very interesting.
Agreed!

Its direct and to the point!thumbs2:
Not recomended!

Dave66
09-17-2011, 02:50 PM
You may want to check out this page before you get one. And Its not a fish btw

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/bluering5.php

Agree with the link completely.

Dave

genocidex
09-17-2011, 03:40 PM
hmm the only things that phases me is the life span and "encouraging the collection of an animal that is relatively rare". i know how deadly they can be and i wouldnt keep them in tanks that they could get out of. also i would never keep them in tanks when i had some one living with me...
and i know they arent a fish thats why this is in the invert section, i meant my favorite sea creature :P

Alasse
09-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Males can live about 2 years, females only live around 6 months. The main thing being you have no idea how old they are when you get them, they could be nearing the end of their life

Trillianne
09-18-2011, 12:04 AM
I don't think one should under estimate the IQ of an Octopus.

The Seattle Aquarium has some interesting experiences... where fish in tanks were going missing... and eventually discovered one of their octopi in a nearby tank was going for a nightly forage to nearby tanks, and then returning to his home tank.

They've had a giant octopi escape from a tank that was capped with a plywood board topped with a cinderblock to weigh it down.

They figured they could keep a shark of larger size in a big tank with the octopi... and found out they were wrong.... you can find videos of this on the internet.

Granted you are looking at a smaller octopi... but somethings are good to leave up to nature.

genocidex
09-18-2011, 12:17 AM
lol if i get a SW tank i have to get a smaller octopus, id love the blue ring but yeah..... any ways i think i could mange an escape proof tank XD i like challenges

Aeonflame
09-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Id stick to challenges that wont go horribly wrong. Especially in a fatal sort of way

Fisharefriends27
09-18-2011, 12:32 AM
Id stick to challenges that wont go horribly wrong. Especially in a fatal sort of way
+1 I'd want to avoid getting killed too.

genocidex
09-18-2011, 12:38 AM
eh, your talking to the person who thought it would be a great idea to throw a magnatron from a microwave and put it into a ray gun type of thing, home made tesla coils and all sorts of things that could possibly kill me lol. but i think i wont get a blue ring cause i dont want to help collecting of rare species.....

mermaidwannabe
09-19-2011, 03:44 PM
There are plenty of very interesting sea creatures you could enjoy without the lethal risks involved with one so deadly. Since they are plentiful in the waters of your area, you might be better off viewing them in their natural habitat, at a safe distance. If an octopus can escape a well-secured public aquarium, it can easily escape anything you set up. This doesn't sound prudent to me. Why play with fire?

-- mermaidwannabe

Aeonflame
09-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Since they are plentiful in the waters of your area, you might be better off viewing them in their natural habitat,

-- mermaidwannabe

The blue ring octopus is native to the pacific Around Japan and Australia. From Genocidex's info, he lives in Massachusets

genocidex
09-19-2011, 05:10 PM
in dead aeon XD i wish they were native to here.
"but i think i wont get a blue ring cause i dont want to help collecting of rare species....." ill be getting octopus but most likely not a blue ring.... get an acrylic tank and make the only access port air right and screw it on. 8+bolts coming up from the tank would hold it fine :P... the only holes would be very small holes for air...

mermaidwannabe
09-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Sorry, Geno -- had you confused with the poster who lives in Australia. Anyway, I'm glad you've decided against getting the blue ring. Far too dangerous ...

-- mermaid

genocidex
09-20-2011, 01:39 AM
danger is not my middle name but im looking into changing it XD. if they werent a "rare" species with small life span id be all over it :P

krystalsohun
09-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Im all for getting the octopus. Just rememebr they can and will pick locks to get out and have in the past unscrewed things to open their tanks up lol They are nearly impossible to keep in one place, if they wanna explore. Youtube octopus break outs and watch how creative they can be :hmm3grin2orange:

genocidex
09-28-2011, 08:35 PM
theres no way an octopus can pick a lock (without tools, lock picking is easy with the right pics XD) , or get to bolts from an airtight seal.... even they have their limits

Trillianne
09-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I'll just leave this here for you.....

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/animals/invertebrates-animals/octopus-and-squid/octopus_giant_kills_shark.html

And the unscrewing jars with photos evidence:
http://discovermagazine.com/2003/oct/feateye

genocidex
09-28-2011, 08:50 PM
ive seen them unscrew jars, ive seen them open up hatches, ive seen them squeeze threw quarter sized holes, but im saying 1/32 inch holes are too small and if air cant escape from a hatch neither can they.... btw im not leaving any part of the screws in the tank that could be opened even with tools....

Scrup
09-28-2011, 09:30 PM
You can't keep it in an airtight container...Its an octopus not a pocket turtle
http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/img/blog/josh/turtle-keyring.jpg

They can fit through whatever their beaks can fit through. Tiny octopus= tiny beak. These things are usually what...4"-10" tops? You think it can fit through a quarter sized hole? No, your talking about fitting though a hole the size of a pea with ease.

This guy could fit through a quarter sized hole easily, note the beak size compared with the body size-
http://www.italyum.com/mambots/content/multithumb/images/1.stories.octopus-tips.webPhoto%205.jpg

http://www.italyum.com/mambots/content/multithumb/images/1.stories.octopus-tips.webPhoto%201.jpg

Now imagine an octopus 1/3 that size or smaller.

funkman262
09-28-2011, 09:59 PM
I was just watching this show about octopi on tv earlier and they were showing 50lb octopi squeezing through 2" holes. Truly amazing creatures.

Sandz
09-28-2011, 10:58 PM
What about a mimic octopi? They are cool lively critters.

genocidex
09-29-2011, 01:31 AM
I lf i make this tank the major hatch will be an airtight seal when screwed on. The tank will have a bunch of 1/32" holes in it for air. I wasnt stating the tank will be air tight just the major hatch ill be using for cleaning and the such lol. I might not know about sw but im not an idiot lol

teddscau
10-08-2011, 04:33 AM
You know to be real careful with them, right? If you touch them the bacteria that create the blue "rings" will kill you. Nothing you can really do when that happens, except straighten out your will. I'd definitely never keep one of those or seaslugs. I'm the kind of person who should never have any hazardous pets. Mimic octopus? Good idea. They are definitely one of my favourite octopus. Make sure you have an eel and a flounder/ray/dab. Smartest little things ever ;)

genocidex
10-08-2011, 04:46 AM
1 its bite kills not its skin. 2 the venom can work its self out over 24-36 hrs. This makes it possible to live if you get to a hospital for them to resperate you until it works its self out. I know how deadly they can be but thats half the atraction for me XD

Alasse
10-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Huh??, you can pick up blue rings, there is nothing in the rings that can hurt you, They are not deadly to just touch, the rings are there purely as a warning tool, if they bite you on the other hand, you be dead