PDA

View Full Version : RCS breeding questions

HarryB
09-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Ive got around 10 red cherry shrimp in my tank at the moment, they are housed with danios, neons and white cloud minnows. theres just a couple of things i wondered if someone could answer :)

Can you tell the difference between male and female RCS by looking at them?

Is there a way to tell if they are carrying eggs?

How often do they breed?

Will they breed in a tank with fish?

Wat conditions are the best for breeding?

Cheers Harry :)

HEADIN
09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
im very new to keepin rcs myself so im sure other people can add in their comments also.

i have a few females who are carrying eggs (berried). you will notice underneath the shrimp they will be full of tiny eggs which they constantly move and turn. i have mine in 15gal with fish and hopefully will get some survivors.

they will and do breed very quickly. so all i can say really is if you look closely you will be able to tell straight away when a female is full of eggs.

HarryB
09-16-2011, 11:46 AM
okai thankyou, hopefully yours survive :)

ive got plenty of hiding places that youngsters can hide so i hope i get a pregnant female that i can watch :)

another question to add, Is there a certain age of maturity in shrimp??

HEADIN
09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
honestly not sure on that 1. i got mine not 2 weeks ago from chris fraser on here and already i have found 2 that are full of eggs. so they have wasted no time at all in getting down to it and they are not the biggest 1s in my tank either. i havent seen my tank since sunday there so im hoping when i get home later i may even find a few more lady shrimp all bulked up with eggs.

HarryB
09-16-2011, 12:45 PM
fingers crossed for u :) cheers

Brhino
09-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Females are more brightly, solidly red than males. Here's a pic from my tank:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/starmike82/DSC_0263.jpg
The female is on the right.

When females are ready to breed, they will develop a "saddle"... a yellow or green area on their back, like so:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/starmike82/DSC_0256.jpg

Once the eggs are fertilized, they start carrying them under their tails. I don't have a great pic of a shrimp carrying eggs, but you can kind of see it here:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c376/starmike82/DSC_0155-1.jpg

Eggs take about a month to hatch.

I'm not really sure how often an individual shrimp breeds... I just know that if you have a colony and no predation, they will be breeding constantly and their numbers will multiply quickly.

Predation is the issue, though. Baby shrimp are tiny and just about any fish other than pure herbivores will eat them. Larger fish will go after adults as well. In your tank in particular the danios are pretty good hunters. In a tank with fish, your success with breeding will depend on how much cover the shrimp have. I am able to maintain a population in my 75 gallon tank, which as you can see from my signature has a number of fish that wouldn't mind eating shrimp, because I have areas of dense planting and rock pilings. If your tank has less hiding spots you may find it harder to breed them with fish.

Good luck!

HarryB
09-16-2011, 08:20 PM
this is great advice :) ill be looking for these signs (great pics) :) wat plants wuld u recommend for this? i need ones tht are dense but grow under low light, ive got some java fern but not very dense atm :)

Brhino
09-16-2011, 08:39 PM
java moss is excellent for small critters to hide in and pretty undemanding to grow.

HarryB
09-16-2011, 08:52 PM
okai ill try tht if i cn get some :)

Strider199
09-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Plus 1 to Brhino on that info especially including the pictures. Very nicely done Sir.thumbs2:

I love Java Moss for this. Buying a little goes a long way after a few months. Now it's almost like having to mow the lawn.

HarryB
09-16-2011, 10:45 PM
ive been looking at my tank trying to decide how i can create a better shrimp haven and ive decided tht my hollow log ornement is perfect as it is popular for the shrimp already, so i will attach some java moss to the outside and start growing some java fern out of the holes which will make it denser and harder for the fish to chase the shrimp into :)

how would u recommend attaching the moss?

thanks for all the help, much appreciated guys :)

frefal13
09-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Most people just tie java moss on with string or, fishing line, after a while it should attach itself

HarryB
09-16-2011, 11:17 PM
okai thankyou, ill look into it :)