PDA

View Full Version : Adding RCS to my tank, a few questions...

briden31
09-14-2011, 03:58 PM
I bought some RCS on aquabid, and they should be delivered in the next two days! YAY! I'm excited about adding them to my tank.

Couple of questions though...

I need to modify my filters so that the RCS don't get sucked up. I have an Eheim canister, and I've seen where you can buy shrimp prefilters for it. Is it really necessary? Could I use a piece of filter sponge, or nylon over the intake on the canister instead?

Also, I have a penguin HOB. The bottom intake would be easy enough to adapt, but it also has a mid level "strainer" halfway up the intake pipe, it has a "flap" that can be closed, but I hesitate to close it because in my short experience that is where most of the debris seems to collect. Could I just tie a piece of nylon around it, or would it need to be closed off?

MCHRKiller
09-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Just use a piece of filter sponge over the intakes of both filters. AquaClear sponge works well, you can trim it down so it isnt just this hideous square in your tank. They do make specific shrimp proof mesh strainers for filters but you dont really have time to get those as your shrimp are coming in a few days, the sponge will work fine tho.

Brhino
09-14-2011, 04:50 PM
I second the aquaclear sponge. I messed around with nylon initially when I got my shrimp and it clogged up too easily.

briden31
09-14-2011, 05:00 PM
What about the mid-level strainer? nylon? close it?

briden31
09-14-2011, 05:03 PM
They do make specific shrimp proof mesh strainers for filters but you dont really have time to get those as your shrimp are coming in a few days, the sponge will work fine tho.

Is it worthwhile to get a shrimp prefilter? I realize that I wouldn't have it before the shrimp arrive, but would it be handy for future use? Is it preferred to the sponge?