PDA

View Full Version : new crawfish

dscott14450
09-13-2011, 10:57 PM
i just bought 16 crawfish out of a bait machine for $5.50 and it there were a couple of light blue ones in with all the normal brown ones. are these actually a blue crawfish or is this possible because of being in a small cod container? And if it is a blue crawfish, (which i hope it is because they sell for $12 each where i live) will it become a darker blue in warmer water?

smaug
09-13-2011, 11:01 PM
I never thought about stocking my fish tank from a vending machine:sconfused:.Very novelthumbs2:

dscott14450
09-13-2011, 11:07 PM
I find it alot cheaper to buy them out of the machine because I keep them with catfish and the smaller ones become a snack while the bigger ones help keep the tank clean. Plus I dont think I could ever pay alot for somethig that could get eaten.

Spidyman
09-14-2011, 03:47 AM
I would be careful adding crayfish to a tank because many times they carry deceases that if pasted onto a fish can kill. So qt time would be required in my opinion. But they aren't my fish either. And I would check on the species because, if I'm right, other species can have blue morphs too. The one your looking for is the alleni. Their is also a white form too, if it is an alleni.

cuckoochews
09-14-2011, 03:59 AM
I've seen pics of wild "blue lobsters" as the call them here in Jersey, but they are nowhere as intense as the selectively bred cobalts and electric blues are. I had a large electric blue for a couple years that my buddy gave me after a reletively unexpected breeding at home. Maybe you should try your hand at it with your blue 'dads! Can you post some pics? thumbs2:

dscott14450
09-14-2011, 04:18 AM
I can try to post some pics in the morning if it comes out. Also I think they could be red claw crawfish because it looks like they have a slight red color to their claws.

dscott14450
09-14-2011, 01:08 PM
i got a couple of pics. unfortunately it is a dull blue to grayish color today but who knows, maybe its color will change. there was also a red one that got scared and tried to hide on the heater so i got a pic of that one too. i also did some research on crawfish species in my area and found out that they are Cambarus ortmanni.