PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr!!!!

ekfishlover2011
09-12-2011, 01:58 AM
So i finally actually got my QT tank up and running, and i got all the feeders out of my 40 to put in the QT/Breeder Tank. Last time i did this they were all diseased or something, i had gotten them from the fish store half dead anyway. Im smart like that (aka stupid) so i put half of my 50 in the 40gal and let my fish eat all those and any that died in Breeder tank. Well, this time i took any i could find from the 40 and added to QT. I made water brackish, and kept it unheated and very lightly filtered (sponge filter). Only problem is, i think all 7 of the ones i found are males. :/ Well, thats gonna work great!! So my attempt at skipping the store and breeding my own feeder shrimps is going to take me to the store again. This time tho i think ill keep maybe 10-15 egg-laden females in the QT with my 7 males and give rest to fish. Then maybe ill actually get somewhere. :)

Lady Hobbs
09-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Well, that was just about as clear as mud.

korith
09-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Need more info, what type of shrimp did you add in? If it was ghost shrimp, they aren't very hardy and can die off quickly. Breeding them is a challenge as they go through a larval stage and require brackish water for this stage. Some more info on them can be found here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/inv/ghostshrimp.php

For picking the ghost shrimp at the store, I'd avoid any that are white or cream colored those are dying off.

Lady Hobbs
09-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Seems like a lot of work for a few shrimp to feed to your fish plus it does not allow your 10 gallon freed up if you need a quarantine/hospital tank. I have cherry shrimp and started them in a 10 gallon but got tired of messing with them so tossed them in my tetra tank. I started with 20, sold over 100, and now the excess is kept under control by the tetra's. I honestly don't know what I have because the tank is full of plants but I would estimate at least another 100. Some are pretty much the same size as my neons.

angel_love
09-13-2011, 01:13 AM
Well, that was just about as clear as mud.

Lol, yea I kind of scratched my head too...but I think I got it after reading it again.

ekfishlover2011
09-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Pretty much i tried breeding them before. Yes the water is brackish for them. They had a disease. They are ghost feeder shrimp. They were clear when i bought them last time, but there were many dead and dying in tank in store. Im stupid so i bought them anyway. Saw 7 larval babies. Then the disease the adults had killed babies too and the heat wave finished off survivors with super high water temps.

Fast Forward to now. I always buy 25 every month to double as cleaning the gravel and offering live snacks for tetras. They were healthy at store this time. This last month i actually had 7 last out of those 25, and now i caught them all and transferred to 10gal. However, i think all are males, they are very slim and dont have the egg pouch. So now that the main tank is empty of shrimp, i will buy more for the main tank and take some of the females out of that batch that have eggs and put them with these 7 males. Then they will breed like last time and since no disease is there, they will breed healthy babies and then no more visiting store every month! :) Clearer now?

ekfishlover2011
09-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Ah, followed that link. When i get the females ill take out 5 of my males and only keep two males and 6 or 7 females and the babies are temporary.

korith
09-14-2011, 03:24 PM
May want to start a colony of red cherry shrimp. Far far far easier to establish a breeding group of rcs. They don't go through a larval stage so baby shrimp show up as miniature versions of the adults. Can get a thriving population of them quicker. As the female rcs mature the amount of eggs will increase. Fairly easy to keep as well, a sponge filter on a 10g, drop in a bit of algae wafer every few days and you are good to go.

ekfishlover2011
09-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Will the tetras eat the cherries still, or are cherries to hard to eat? Im making them breed for food because its better to breed them myself and know what they are exposed to than just hoping store doesnt sell me diseased ones again as i feed them to my fish. Cherries around here are $3 a piece!! Thats quite alot of money id be feeding the tetras...

Brhino
09-14-2011, 11:47 PM
red cherry shrimp are smaller and easier to see, so if your fish are eating ghosts I see no reason why they won't eat cherries.

Go to aquabid. You'll be able to get a group of 20-23 shrimp there for less than $1.50 per shimp and free shipping. Take good care of those, and in a few months you'll have hundreds.

ekfishlover2011
09-15-2011, 11:00 PM
The cherries look like they have armor, whereas the ghosts dont, so i wasnt sure about that part. Wow, 20-30 cherries for $1.50 each is still alot at once. My ghosts are $.12 each and they dont even really count at the store, they just net a bunch, and count out loud to the number you said. I watch them count "1, 2, 3, 4" as 1, 3, 4, 6 came out of net. They dont seem to care how many it actually is, and always just charge what i said. Ill ask for 35 this next time, probably get about 40, take 4 or 5 of the egg-filled females, and return 4 or 5 of my current males to the main tank to be noms. If it doesnt work out this time ill try the more expensive route of cherries. I had one cherry before with my betta and he wouldnt eat it. Ate the ghosts, but refused cherry. I had 3 ghosts and a cherry and a betta in a 2.5 gallon, so the ghosts i guess got territorial and killed cherry. I know it wasnt the betta because the small shrimps had all dug a tiny hole to et under the bettas cave (it has a bottom) and thats where the cherry was found. I took it out of there and waited for betta to eat. Nope. Thats why i thought it was the armor.

korith
09-15-2011, 11:39 PM
The cherries look like they have armor, whereas the ghosts dont, so i wasnt sure about that part.

Hmm armor? first time I've heard it called that. Both ghost and red cherry shrimp have an exoskeleton that protects them. As the shrimp grow in size, they'll shed their old skin and regrow it.

Red cherry shrimp cost more up front compared to ghost shrimp, but they will be much easier to breed as well.

If you are looking for treats for your fish, could try worms as well. Fish go nuts when you toss them in the tank.

ekfishlover2011
09-16-2011, 02:19 PM
ok. So lets say i go with the cherries and decide i want to be super cheap. If i get 25 ghost and put them in the main tank, remove my current ghosts from the breeder tank, and buy just 5 egg-filled female cherries from the store to put in the quarantine, will that start a good population after a few months? Or do i have to get a whole bunch to start? What are temperature and other requirements for the cherries to breed other than no predators? Whats the shrimp per gallon limit of them? The ghosts say its only one per gallon. Im hoping its much more than the ghost shrimp per gallon, because then i can keep more of a population steady in the breed tank to keep it going. And once its actually going, (i assume if i start with such a small amount it would take a few months to get going, but i can deal with that, because i can just buy the ghosts til then anyway knowing my money saving times are coming) will they be able to keep up with 25-40 losses every month, or will i have to slow down on the snacking of my fish?

ekfishlover2011
09-16-2011, 02:50 PM
I think thats what ill do. Ill buy 5 berried females from my fish store and then ask if they have any males there too, and get just one or two of them. Maybe ill pick up some java moss because it said that that will give off stuff for the babies to eat and speed up growth and everything. It said i have to wait 4-6 months before my babies are mature and ready to breed, so ill wait for at least 3 months before starting to take only young ones out and always leaving the biggest females and all berried females in. That way i know the ones i leave behind can keep breeding and i dont waste pregnant females.

korith
09-16-2011, 05:32 PM
Shrimps have a very low bioload, I have 10g tanks with several hundred shrimp in them without any issues. The biggest issue with shrimp is keeping water quality good and stable.

ekfishlover2011
09-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Okay good. Do u think 1/4 of an algae wafer is too much everyday for when i have the 5 females and 2 males? And once i get a whole bunch ill experiment with one a day and add more or feed less if needed.

korith
09-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Okay good. Do u think 1/4 of an algae wafer is too much everyday for when i have the 5 females and 2 males? And once i get a whole bunch ill experiment with one a day and add more or feed less if needed.

They don't eat much, maybe even less than that. Just drop a bit in the tank at a time, and see if it's still there the next day. You can easily not feed them for a day or two or even much longer. They will forage off whatever they find in the tank. I have left my shrimp tanks alone for 1-2 weeks at a time.

ekfishlover2011
09-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Okay. The algae wafers pollute like mad, so ill go with smallest piece i can break off a wafer, see how much is eaten before the next day, and after three days feed again, flakes this time if they couldnt eat all the algae before. Ive been keeping my ghosts in there for now, and those guys wont eat the algae, so im getting a base coat on the glass, will they eat it off the glass? Also, i could probably keep my apple snail in there for a while to help them eat the wafer pieces so that water isnt polluted by leftovers. He looooooves algae wafers. Im finally getting a test kit since ive been taking all these steps towards becoming a better fish keeper. I need much more water conditioner, i keep buying tiny bottles that last for only three weeks if i use them for my 40gal. Is there any specific water conditioners that are better for shrimps than others? Is Tetra BettaSafe safe to use for them? It seems safe so far for the frog and my ghosts, so either its killing them slowly enough that i dont notice, or its safe.

korith
09-18-2011, 12:52 AM
I need much more water conditioner, i keep buying tiny bottles that last for only three weeks if i use them for my 40gal. Is there any specific water conditioners that are better for shrimps than others? Is Tetra BettaSafe safe to use for them? It seems safe so far for the frog and my ghosts, so either its killing them slowly enough that i dont notice, or its safe.

Any dechlorinator is fine. When I need to buy more, all I really look at is which will give me the most gallons per dollar. The real big thing for shrimp is too keep the water conditions stable. I'm surprised your frog hasn't gone after the shrimp!

Alasse
09-18-2011, 12:58 AM
I have approx 200 in my 2ft tank (new setup) and they eat like mad *L* I drop in 30 small algae disk and these are gone by the next morning. Little piggies

ekfishlover2011
09-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Im only starting with 7, so they shouldnt need much, but once i get a large population theyll probably go through a wafer a day, but that should take a few months before that happens.

ekfishlover2011
09-18-2011, 01:16 AM
I'm surprised your frog hasn't gone after the shrimp!
Yea, me too. I kinda figured he would eat his shrimp like the bettas always do, but nope, so far hes afraid of it. Probably becase all hes ever seen is another frog, a human, a cat, and a piece of bamboo til about two days ago when i introduced him to this tank. Im not going to trust him with my cherries though....

ekfishlover2011
09-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Ugh. There were almost no shrimps at the store. I tell all about it in my new post "This is gonna take a while..."