PDA

View Full Version : Blue Gourami...Will it live?

Migforce
08-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Hi guys. I need some advice ASAP. I just spent my lunch at a fish section of PETCO and they had two Blue Gouramis on special for $0.99 a piece vs. $5.00 regular price. The fish seemed pretty healthy and I bought them figuring the worst thing that can happen is me being $2.00 poorer. I got the fish to the office and now I have to figure out how to get them home 4.5 hours from now. So here is the question for all you who know these fish...what are the chances of them surviving this trek?

The guy at the store said they should be OK for up to 8 hours in the bag as long as I don't let the water temperature rise (right now I have the bag submerged in my boss' aquarium). Is that true or was he pulling my leg? I know they are labyrinth fishes and can gulp air to live...but for how long? Thanks in advance.

RobbieG
08-02-2007, 06:08 PM
I've never personally tried it but I don't see why not - that how they get shipped to my LFS. If you are worried about it get one of those disposable tupperware containers and fill it up from your bosses tank and transport them in that.

Migforce
08-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks, this makes me feel better. I just checked on them and they seem to be doing OK. I'll just make sure my car is nice and cool before I start driving and pray to the traffic gods to hold off their minions.

Migforce
08-03-2007, 05:55 PM
They lived!!! I got them home yesterday put them in the water and they seem to be OK. I fed them this morning, they both ate and are swimming nicely. They don't seem to be stressed at all. They spent 4.5 hours in the bag total and are completely fine. They are tough little fish! :c5:

Lady Hobbs
08-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Actually they aren't tough fish and on the forum the loss of gourami's is one of the most posted threads. And ICK on swordtails.

I am surprised they survived in the bag that long actually. When fish are mailed, the bag is filled with oxygen and in the store they are not. But I'm happy your guys made it and I hope for them a healthy life under your care.

I take it you are speaking of the dwarf blue gourami and not the regular blue, also called the 3-spot? Those are tough buggers and get mean.

zackish
08-04-2007, 12:20 PM
They lived!!! I got them home yesterday put them in the water and they seem to be OK. I fed them this morning, they both ate and are swimming nicely. They don't seem to be stressed at all. They spent 4.5 hours in the bag total and are completely fine. They are tough little fish! :c5:

I am really surprised. I am also surprised they don't have any diseases or anything for such a price reduction. Good find though and good luck.

RobbieG
08-04-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm not surprised at all - putting in a squirt of oxygen can only increase the amount available by a factor of 5-6. The fish survive in the bags for 3 days all the time - which means that without the squirt they would be in the same boat in 12 - 14 hours. That doesn't mean they would be dead in 12 hours - just that they would be in the same boat as a fish you ordered online in 12 hours.

Migforce
08-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Actually they aren't tough fish and on the forum the loss of gourami's is one of the most posted threads. And ICK on swordtails.

I am surprised they survived in the bag that long actually. When fish are mailed, the bag is filled with oxygen and in the store they are not. But I'm happy your guys made it and I hope for them a healthy life under your care.

I take it you are speaking of the dwarf blue gourami and not the regular blue, also called the 3-spot? Those are tough buggers and get mean.
Mine have two spots on them one by the tail and one in the middle. So are they three spot gourami that you are reffering to? I read compatibility charts and unless I am misunderstanding something they should be OK with the rest of my fish (zebra danios, corys and an algae eater with neons or cardinals soon to come). What do you mean they get nasty?

RobbieG
08-06-2007, 07:25 PM
The third spot is the eye - no kidding

I have one - he's kind of a pussycat with everyone except for other gouramis