PDA

View Full Version : Little character

kilyth
09-09-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm very new to keeping Bettas, I picked up my first one ever the day before yesterday. I've been amazed to see how much of a character he is.

Most of the time he can be found peeping up from one of his hidey-holes on the bottom. It only took him about 3 minutes to learn to swim to my fingertip to be fed, and he's making feeding my pleco difficult because he keeps shoving the wafers into cracks between rocks and down into the ceramic medium (I have a BiUbe, so it has its own filter medium), the scoundrel.

I've kept goldfish in the past and they would eventually learn to recognise me, but I've never known of a fish to take only a few minutes to learn that finger = food. He seems to be much smarter than, and have a better memory than, my dogs!

I'm looking forward to many more years owning these beautiful fish.

kilyth
09-09-2011, 01:10 PM
And here he is. Sorry about the bad quality pic.

The second pic is just of my tank.

Cecile1
09-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Lovely little guy- I'm partial to the reds!

Cyberra
09-10-2011, 01:57 AM
^_^ He is a very pretty little critter... Veiltail?

Yes, bettas are quite smart... I trained my boss female to swim to one side of the tank at feeding time, so there wouldn't be any fighting between her and the other females over the food. And they will learn to recognize different people; one of mine went nuts one time when my mom was using my computer. There was a stranger sitting in my chair ^^

kilyth
09-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Yup, Veiltail. I know he's not as spectacular as some, but I think he's very handsome.

Now he's discovered somewhere on the driftwood that he can lie and poke his head out of the water, the lazy sod.

Cyberra
09-11-2011, 12:44 AM
XD Somewhere he can nap while having easy access to air

korith
09-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Now he's discovered somewhere on the driftwood that he can lie and poke his head out of the water, the lazy sod.

Yep bettas will do that. Had one that would sit itself up on plants right near the surface of the water. Scared me the first few times, made me think he had died, so I'd have to poke the water or plant near him and he'd jump off the plant.