PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you have Blue Acara's

Lady Hobbs
08-02-2007, 03:33 AM
If so, what can you tell me about them and what would they get along with?

Thanks

Dave66
08-09-2007, 08:50 AM
I've kept 'em in the past, and they are among the most mellow of the mid-size cichlids. That means they are easily dominated by even the most moderate fellows, like firemouths. If they are the only cichlids in the tank, the acaras will quickly become your favorites when they grow up into beautiful fish. I kept them in my standard params: 6.8, gH around five or six, between 75 an 77 degrees.

Dave

salman
08-09-2007, 08:59 AM
You need to have a big tank for them because they get to 8 inches. They also need a lot of hiding places in a tank. They will eat almost everything you give them which is a good thing. You can have plants with them as they don't eat them. They are hardy fish and can tolerate soft to hard water. Oh, and i heard they were really easy to breed.

Lady Hobbs
08-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks a whole bunch. I've been considering getting a few for some time.

salman
08-10-2007, 05:26 AM
I think i have 3 or 4 of them, they are amazing fish. But i got mine as juveniles thinking the maximum size they get is 1 inch. Now they are 2.5 inches and counting.

Lady Hobbs
08-10-2007, 10:26 AM
What do you mean you think you have 3-4 of them? You don't know if you have the fish or don't know how many you have? I can name how many fish I have of everything. They stand in line for roll call every morning.

salman
08-10-2007, 10:29 AM
What do you mean you think you have 3-4 of them? You don't know if you have the fish or don't know how many you have? I can name how many fish I have of everything. They stand in line for roll call every morning.

I forgot how many i have. I just checked and i have 4 of them in my community tank. Sorry if i wasn't clear.

Lady Hobbs
08-10-2007, 10:32 AM
LOL No problem. Some sites say they get around 6 inches, others 8 so it's a guess.

salman
08-10-2007, 10:39 AM
LOL No problem. Some sites say they get around 6 inches, others 8 so it's a guess.

I never believed them when they say in a website that somethings gets to 8 inches.
But yesterday, i couldn't believe my eyes, i was in a LFS, and they have blood parrots about 8-9 inches. They were HUGE! They are selling them for 100 dollars each.

Lady Hobbs
08-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Ouch! And how do you know how old they are when they get that size? You might pay $100 and it would be 8 years old already.

salman
08-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Ouch! And how do you know how old they are when they get that size? You might pay $100 and it would be 8 years old already.

Mine are 3 years old and they are only about 4 inches. I got them when they were juvies. I don't get why people buy big fish. I like to raise them + the smaller the cheaper with fish. Dogs and cats the the opposite. The smaller the better. Oh and may i add, i have about 15 of them.. 1500 dollars for me baby ! lol