PDA

View Full Version : Corkscrew Vals - will they grow back?

briden31
09-06-2011, 02:47 PM
A couple of weeks ago I ordered 6 corkscrew vals from a seller online. When I got them, the leaves were pretty broken, and not overly healthy looking. I removed the dead material, planted them, and waited to see what would happen.

So now, a couple of weeks have passed. Most of the leaf matter on the vals has completely melted off. The roots seem to be establishing well though, and they all have a tiny bit of new regrowth.

Will they come back? I've removed the remaining dead material. I'm encouraged by the fact that there is some new green growth, but they really are the 12+ inch plants that I ordered. :( The remaining green growth is only about 4 inches tall on the larger of the plants.

The tank is currently fishless, so I've been dosing 2 teaspoons of flourish twice a week. My other plants are thriving, but the vals are pretty sad looking.

Are they a loss? Should I give them root tabs? Any suggestions?

Brhino
09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Are you using Flourish, or Flourish Excel? Excel melts some plants, including vals.

If not, I would say give it some time. A lot of plants lose their leaves when they are moved to new water conditions. It is encouraging that you are seeing new growth.

briden31
09-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just Flourish, I'll have to check when I get home.

Would they benefit from root tabs? Any suggestions on root tabs? I've never used them before.

Lady Hobbs
09-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Vals are pretty tough. They should grow back.

rich311k
09-06-2011, 04:52 PM
The root tabs would not hurt as they are root feeders. They should come back.

Wild Turkey
09-06-2011, 05:09 PM
I agree they should come back. Mine have done this when I moved them as well, just give it time.

briden31
09-06-2011, 05:12 PM
YAY! I'm so happy to think that they'll come back!

Suggestions on root tabs?