PDA

View Full Version : sexing my BN plecos

HarryB
09-05-2011, 09:53 PM
ive read that BN plecos are easily sexed as the male has the bristles all over hisnose and the female doesnt, can somebody confirm this as true or not? also if it is true how old does the fish have to be before the bristles start to show or do they show as soon as the fish starts forming properly as it leaves the fry stage?

MuckyFish
09-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Yes, everything I have read so far indicates that is true, except for the fact that some females also have bristles. Therefore you could accidentally end up with a female when you expect a male. I would expect the female to have less bristles on average perhaps but can't recall precisely on that point.

Not sure on the age at which they develop bristles, I would be curious on that point too if anyone knows for sure.

Alasse
09-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Males have bristles up the center of their noses as well as around the edges. Females have none or some around just the edge

Some males can appear female, especially if in the company of another dominant male

Brhino
09-06-2011, 01:24 PM
It takes a while, too. I bought a small 1.5" bristlenose pleco. It took almost 6 months before I saw even the faintest hint of bristles, and then a couple more months after that before I was comfortable confirming that it was a male.

dbosman
09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
For positive ID you have to wait until they are nearly mature. For good guesses, males bristles will be longer and more plentiful after the fish are a couple of months old.

To help them grow up faster, feed them. Zucchini is great and they love it. Peal store bought, for pesticide safety. Slice them into what ever works for you and stick a fork in it. Stainless steel forks work very well to hold the raw zucchini on the bottom. It you blanch it, it will usually sink by itself. Take the left overs out the next day or it will start to rot.

Earthworm sticks will do very well for meat and protein. Algae wafers are a good standard food along with the zucchini.

HarryB
09-07-2011, 06:49 PM
okai thanx for the advice :) ill keep an eye out for those bristles :) hopefully one of my two is a male cause i would like to see the bristlees first hand :) and hopefully they appear before they get too big for my tank and have to be moved :)