PDA

View Full Version : Silver Sand?

Scalare
08-01-2007, 05:34 PM
I've a question, can I use silver sand in my aquarium?

gm72
08-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Silver in color? Never heard of it. No idea if you can safely use it.

Lady Hobbs
08-01-2007, 08:07 PM
I also have not heard of it. beach sand, white sand, silica sand.....but not silver.

Scalare
08-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Hmm. In Dutch it is Zilverzand, in English Silver Sand. It's most fine sand what is there, almost white.

I think it's most fine sand what existed there, but I'm not sure for that.

And, you may make my English better, I can only learn about it ;)

gm72
08-01-2007, 09:42 PM
If it is purely natural sand then you could use it, but if the particles are very fine they might clog up filters and be a nuisance while cleaning.

RobbieG
08-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Heres what wikipedia has to say about it

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zilverzand

Can't find the equivalent entry in english

Scalare
08-02-2007, 02:35 PM
I have let translate the babelfish, and I have had treat it partially because this programme very litteral and sometimes terrible badly translated, not that I am possible it better...:

Silver sand is a finely grained, blank, extremely pure and richly to quartz sand with a low iron quality.

It is used in the high-quality glass industry, for example for producing cathode tubes, to recently the most important component of a television baffle, and fineceramic and the chemical industry. It is applied in detergent, toothpaste and barn means. The annual use in the Netherlands amounts to one and a half million m³, of which half is roughly imported. However, a considerable component is replaced by recycled glass. Silver sand are also applied as a floor material in aquariums and volières. Furthermore it is applied for preparing fine wet mortar. The silicon for electronica- components, such as diodes, transistors, and chips are made of zilverzand.

The most important quality standards for sandsand sand are the percentages quartz (SiO2) and aluminiumoxide (Al2O3) and iron quality (Fe2O3). How more quartz, and how less aluminiumoxide and iron, how zuiverder improve and. Moreover the mother material can contain no components, which grover are then 2000 micrometer. Quartz sand can gain by chemical treatment quality.

High-quality silver sand come in very limit area in Zuid-Limburg (a province in the Netherlands) for. In five grooves between Heerlen (a place in the Netherlands) and Brunssum (a place in the Netherlands) layers of five up to fifty meters dik are won.

Silversand are relatively precious.

Perhaps is it now clear what I means? ;)

A friend of mine, he was learning English teacher, said that it is Silica sand or Quartz sand...

RobbieG
08-02-2007, 03:08 PM
I think I understood it better before the program translated it!

Looks like it says it is used in tanks

If it is "normal" silca or quartz sand it is fine for use in fish tanks - although if you really want to see the sparks fly read some of the debates on whether or not it causes diatom blooms in reef tanks!

jttt3
08-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Diatom blooms suck, causes nasty brown algea on everything.

I would be careful with super super fine sand. It will take longer to settle and will be very silty or muddy, and will easily cloud up your tank if a fish starts digging in it.

at least, that is what I was told, it really depends on what kind of fish you want to keep.