PDA

View Full Version : Genetics

Strider199
09-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Well I broke down today and bought 6 new red cherry shrimp (females) from the local lfs. I wanted to add a few shrimp from a different DNA pool. Man these were expensive. The first 50 shrimp I bought from a private sale were the same price as these 6 shrimp. Mind you these females are a really deep red colour compared to the so-so red colour of the original shrimp.

Lets see what happens shall we.

Fishguy2727
09-05-2011, 02:42 AM
Stores will definitely charge more than a hobbyist overrun with them.

In many cases the color has more to do with the quality of the food and/or water than the genetics.

genocidex
09-05-2011, 02:45 AM
yes egore throw the switch *muahahahahahahahahaha*

Jacko
09-05-2011, 03:22 AM
In many cases the color has more to do with the quality of the food and/or water than the genetics.

Ehhh... yes a well kept cherry will be more vibrant and active than one not as well kept, but your run of the mill rcs won't have as nice of coloration than sakura reds, painted fire reds or even super reds not kept as well... in shrimp, line bred genetics usually show for more than health.

Example... you could have the healthiest s grade crystal red from your average hobbyist fed on shiraraku and given mineral supplement, but its color and intensity won't have anything on a JBL s grade crystal kept on say hikari shrimp cuisine...

Note: sakura rcs have been becoming increasingly available from Asian farms at a cheaper price so a lot of fish distributors have been selling them, witch corresponds with lfs carrying them, so there's a possibility that's what you got... its gotten common enough that one of my buddies won't even touch sakura shrimp, emptied them out of his wholesale warehouse, he's a bit of a purist though lol

Strider199
09-05-2011, 04:28 PM
The water quality of my 10 gallon planted tank is quite good.
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
0-5ppm nitrates.
0 copper.
pH of 6.8

The fluval stratum substrate gives the plants enough nutrients so I do not need to use any fert's which I've read may not harm the shrimp but reduces breeding and dulls colour.
I feed them hikari shrimp cuisine with the odd flake food and algae pellet.
Reading about how these shrimp are naturally a brownish colour in the wild and through many generations they have been altered to enhance their colour, I thought it prudent to buy some different stock since all the shrimp I had in that tank have come from the same stock.
I'm hoping that adding the new blood will help maintain a genetic diversity and maybe brighten up the new born.