PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Management software

Countrylovin4evr
09-04-2011, 12:44 AM
I know there used to be one that let you type in everything, from the fish in your tanks to the water changes to plants. Can't seem to find any that work for Windows 7 or are even available anymore. Is there any around that are free and that work?

SLeen
09-04-2011, 01:11 AM
not sure what kind of information you are looking for, but aqadvisor.com gives you info about stocking percentage, recommended water changes, temps and possible issues with fish compatibility.

Countrylovin4evr
09-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Ok I'll try that. I don't really what I'm looking for per se.. I think I'm just trying to keep track of things.

Lady Hobbs
09-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Make up a list for yourself in Microsoft, perhaps?

Kayfish
09-04-2011, 02:46 AM
+1 to Hobbs. Try Microsoft Excel, It works great. I use it for all kinds of stuff I'm trying to keep track of. Household Budget, vacation itinerary, Aquarium cycle log, etc...

Countrylovin4evr
09-09-2011, 09:50 PM
LOL. But that would be toooo easy. j/k that's a great idea. I guess I just wanted to cheat a little. lol

alexinoz
12-28-2011, 06:00 AM
I know it's been a while since activity on this thread, but did you find something suitable?

If not, I'm learning to do some basic programming and have been thinking of writing a web based aquarium tracker. It would track daily readings (to help with the fishless cycle I'm about to commence), fish additions, plant additions, water changes etc.

It shouldn't be too big a project to start with and will give me some good experience.

I'm planning to output the data to charts, and with a bit of luck I should be able to make these link-able (to post on forums like this for Q&A).

Is this what you're thinking of? What other data points would be useful to have? I'll see if I can include them for you.

sheamurai
12-30-2011, 02:33 AM
I use Excel as well. Spreadsheet with a few different pages which tracks all my tank and stock history, equipment etc.

Wondering now how other people have their spreadsheets set up?

icefreeze57
01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I know it's been a while since activity on this thread, but did you find something suitable?

If not, I'm learning to do some basic programming and have been thinking of writing a web based aquarium tracker. It would track daily readings (to help with the fishless cycle I'm about to commence), fish additions, plant additions, water changes etc.

It shouldn't be too big a project to start with and will give me some good experience.

I'm planning to output the data to charts, and with a bit of luck I should be able to make these link-able (to post on forums like this for Q&A).

Is this what you're thinking of? What other data points would be useful to have? I'll see if I can include them for you.

that sounds awesome!

Dacotah7
01-12-2012, 05:41 AM
THIS may help (http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=Aquarium+Management+software&pbx=1&oq=Aquarium+Management+software&aq=f&aqi=g1g-v3&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=18393l18393l1l18941l1l1l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=79a914ef1cf0f6d4&biw=1008&bih=490)

hyp0r
01-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I bet it would help alexinoz if some people could post their excel spreadsheets so he can see what data people usually collect.

alexinoz
02-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Hi everyone,

Finally - got it finished!

http://aquarium-manager.herokuapp.com
(http://aquarium-manager.herokuapp.com)

You can track information about:
* your expenses
* your tanks
* your water tests against each tank

No software to download as it is web based... which also means you can load it up on your iPhone, iPad etc when visiting your LFS.

Your feedback is welcomed!

You'll need either a facebook or twitter login to access, I for one don't like trying to remember my username/passwords for various sites so trust this is a more convenient way for others to log in as well.

Cheers

alexinoz
02-17-2012, 10:33 PM
@hypOr - yes that would be great. I'm particularly keen to see what types of data people collect, and how they classify it.

That way I can improve the web app to ensure it suits the needs of others, not just myself.

MLBfan
02-17-2012, 10:50 PM
alexinoz, is there some way you could get it so you could log in with your email? I don't have a facebook or twitter.

alexinoz
02-19-2012, 07:38 AM
@MLBfan, thanks for asking.

I've added support for gmail and yahoo mail today, hopefully you have an email account with one of these companies...?

It's easier for me (and securer for users) to not store passwords, hence why I don't ask users to create an account. Instead I'm using a technology known as OAuth to do all this for me - by having big tech companies with lots of users manage all aspects of authentication to this app (eg facebook, twitter, google and yahoo).

A side benefit of this means you don't need to remember your password to gain access to the application. Just sign in with (eg) your gmail account and you're off and running.

I'll try get AOL working soon as well - for users with an @aol.com email address.

If there are lots more requests for username/password access I'll certainly take a look. :)

MLBfan
02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks, the site seems good so far.thumbs2:

Dacotah7
02-20-2012, 11:10 AM
I stumbled across this one for $50, but know nothing about it:

http://www.healthytanks.com/

alexinoz
02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
thanks @Dacotah. Yes there are certainly a few around, and a quick glance of their web site suggests this looks quite good.

For those who prefer free, access via mobile, no software to install or back up: I trust my alternative will suit their requirements. :)

Lady Hobbs
02-20-2012, 03:53 PM
I stumbled across this one for $50, but know nothing about it:

http://www.healthytanks.com/[/guote]
Helpful.

[quote=Dacotah7]THIS may help (http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=Aquarium+Management+software&pbx=1&oq=Aquarium+Management+software&aq=f&aqi=g1g-v3&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=18393l18393l1l18941l1l1l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=79a914ef1cf0f6d4&biw=1008&bih=490)
Not at all helpful.

:shappy:

PhillipOrigami
03-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Thank you SO much alex! This will help keep track of whats up with my theoretical tank :D
Im putting journal link and that link in my sig!

alexinoz
03-11-2012, 07:05 AM
@Philip, great to hear! Let me know what other improvements you would like to see, either here or via the "suggestions" section in the app.

PhillipOrigami
03-11-2012, 05:44 PM
More people need to see this!
Maybe a design software? Drag and drop aquarium sizes, vals, elodea, driftwood, caves etc?
That will keep you very busy. Good luck!!!

alexinoz
03-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks Philip!

Yes I'll definitely consider adding design components in at a later date... however there are some relatively good options available to do this already so it's not imminent.

I'd right now like to help people by providing a resource where they can quickly find information about the tanks other aquarists have. There are lots of great resources (this forum of course in particular), but nothing in a simple index.

My view is you should be able to quickly get a selection of results from any question to help decide how to set up your aquariums.
Eg answer the following questions:
* "what types of tankmates are people keeping with hyphessobrycon bentosi's in a 50 to 70 gal tank?"
* "what size tanks are the most common if I want to keep a plec, given they grow so large?"
* "what is the most popular external filter for a 50 gal aquarium?"
* "I think I'm doing an OK job in keeping the water quality stable in my aquarium - how does my performance compare with other aquarists?"

..and so on.

Considering the best discussions tend to happen on well established forums, http://aquarium-manager.herokuapp.com is intended to make it easier for people to reference their own experience by simply pointing to their aquarium, or do research on others - then continue the conversation back on the forum of their choice.

PhillipOrigami
03-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Such as?
-.-

Danifins
04-24-2012, 01:45 AM
@alexinoz

Omg thank you so much for this program, its so helpful!! I am just starting up a new tank (my first in about 4 years! woo!) and I am finding it so helpful to record my tests on here instead of just scribbled in my little notebook on the tank stand, haha.

Looking forward to seeing further developments and I will definitely keep using it! :D

alexinoz
05-06-2012, 05:48 AM
@danifins - glad to help!

@philip - sorry I didn't compute with your last message, can you elaborate a bit more?

Cheers!

PhillipOrigami
05-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Such as can you give an example?
It don't matter, times change :D
Love it.:hmm3grin2orange:

alexinoz
05-24-2012, 10:26 AM
A brief (and very exciting) update, I've purchased a domain name for the application and can confidently say it's been a huge success so far!

You can find it here.
www.aquarium-manager.com

Please spread the word!

I've made a lot of improvements to it in the last 2 months and I'm so pleased with so many people regularly using it now, it inspires me to keep going :)

metal-otaku
05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
i'm trying to use it but having a hard time making a new tank can you please explain to me how?

wijnands
05-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Hmm..

I'm not inclined to handle my google or facebook account to an unknown site.Is there a reason why you do not allow direct accounts?

alexinoz
05-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Hmm..

I'm not inclined to handle my google or facebook account to an unknown site.Is there a reason why you do not allow direct accounts?

Yes, two in fact:
a) I don't want to store passwords and have another reason for hackers to target me, so instead use the oAuth (http://oauth.net/) protocol to manage all authentication for me instead. You sign in to (eg) google, google then tells my site you're who you say you are, and redirects you to aquarium manager, with your username which is then linked to an account and you can load up your tanks.
b) I personally don't like remembering yet another username/password combo, and suspect many other's don't either.

That said, if you feel uncomfortable about doing this then that is OK too, I'm not here to compel you to use the application. You could always create a "throwaway" yahoo or AOL account as an alternative to using your google or facebook logins if you prefer.

Hope that helps :)

alexinoz
05-25-2012, 02:40 PM
i'm trying to use it but having a hard time making a new tank can you please explain to me how?

Hey, thanks for your feedback!

a) log in
b) click on "My Aquariums"
c) scroll to the bottom, there's a green button that says "Add Aquarium"

Once you have created the basics of the aquarium, it will be listed in the "My Aquariums" page. From there you can go in and add fish, equipment, water tests etc.

Hope that helps!

wijnands
05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Yes, two in fact:
a) I don't want to store passwords and have another reason for hackers to target me, so instead use the oAuth (http://oauth.net/) protocol to manage all authentication for me instead. You sign in to (eg) google, google then tells my site you're who you say you are, and redirects you to aquarium manager, with your username which is then linked to an account and you can load up your tanks.
b) I personally don't like remembering yet another username/password combo, and suspect many other's don't either.
)

It's a good reason. And openauth is pretty good. I'll give it a spin over the weekend and let you know

alexinoz
05-25-2012, 11:07 PM
It's a good reason. And openauth is pretty good. I'll give it a spin over the weekend and let you know

Yes - openauth rocks. More sites should be using it for my reasons above. I do hope you like the application, and of course shoot me any questions or comments for improvements that you have!

alexinoz
06-21-2012, 12:26 PM
I've added charts to the app recently, and also done a load of other small changes.

Feedback welcome as always!

www.aquarium-manager.com is the site :goldfish: