PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys

SamethP
09-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Hey everyone! :22:

My name is Sam, I'm 19 years old and I've only really just started in my aquarium life (about a month or so in thus far! haha). Always loved having fish tanks as a child and decided that it's time that I took the responsibility of having my own.

So far, I dug out our family's old fish tank (40L) and started gradually adding fish (I read the ebook lol).

At the moment the 40L contains 2 Blue Rams, 1 Bristlenose Catfish, 2 Ghost Knives and a number neon tetras.

I'm well aware that the ghosties will easily outgrow the tank and am currently working on funds for a much larger tank (or two). Everything seems to be living happily in there at the moment (the two ghosties were fighting at first, but have established their territories now amoung the pieces of driftwood) and everything is going swimmingly (so to speak).

Anyway, just took a couple of pictures of my first tank so you guys can let me know if it's looking alright :)

Cheers,
Sam

http://i55.tinypic.com/14nlcb6.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/jsd5as.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/20k2n8m.jpg

chrisfraser05
09-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi sam and welcome to AC :)

I absolutely love the aquascape, its stunning!

I know you've identified the tank is too small for the fish, I don't think you realise though that the tank is way too small for them even now let alone as they grow.

The bio load to the tank is massive for the size!!!

Have you got an ammonia test kit at the moment? if not that has to be your priority.

Any reading off ammonia in your tank is a bad thing, anything above 0.25 is toxic for the fish.

didn't mean to answer your first post with a lecture but wanted to get the point in there asap.

Where abouts in the world are you from bud?

Chris

SamethP
09-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Haha thank you! :)

Too small already? :O Wow, I thought I'd have a couple of months before that (they're about 6-8cm so far). I haven't got an ammonia kit yet, but by the sounds of it I should go and pick one up tomorrow.

Hey, not a worry about the lecture mate, gotta learn at some point and better now than when they are all dead ;)

I was looking at a 4ft tank today, but that was more for raising a juvenile oscar and another fish up together, but maybe the ghosties should go in there instead? What are oscars and ghosties like in one tank?

I'm from Australia :) how about you?

Sam

chrisfraser05
09-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm from bonnie scotland :)

I really couldn't tell you alot about Oscars as argessive FW stuff isn't something I've kept yet.

Sure someone else on here will be able to help on that one!

If you did get the 4 ft I'd advise moving the plec and knifes if you could.
I had a bristle nose in a 40lt to begin with and his waste soon overtook the filters capability.

Glad you have taken heed of the advice, you wouldn't believe the amount of people come on here for advice then completely ignore it!!!

If you get an ammo kit as your priority it will let you know where you are at.

You can then do water changes as and when required to keep the ammo down while working on a bigger tank etc.

I remember having to do 50% a day changes on a tank for over a month battling ammonia before upgrading lol

SamethP
09-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Oh nice, I toured Scotland a few years back with the Queensland football team :)

Is the plec the bristlenose? I've noticed how filthy they are.

But yeah, I'll definitely sort out an ammo kit tomorrow, because up until now, I've been taking water samples back to the place I buy my fish and they test everything for me, the other day it was fine, but it's a hassle to drive that far haha.

At the moment I'm doing a weekly 20%. But I'll definitely head back to the store tomorrow and have a good chat with the bloke there as well.

Haha, well it seems stupid to ignore the advice of the people on here since I'm here to learn and create a stunning aquarium :)

procyg
09-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the fourm! I agree, nice job on the aquascape!

gadget228
09-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

SamethP
09-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Thank you very much :)

DylanisHawttt
09-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Welcome to the forum :22:

angel_love
09-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi! You can air mail your black ghosts to me and I could fish sit for you until you find a bigger tank :hmm3grin2orange:

kitten3326
09-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Welcome to the Forum...beautiful tankthumbs2:

eroc1085
09-03-2011, 05:47 PM
welcome welcome. I like your tank and your RAM...!!

take these people seriously. Your tank will look amazing. It helps to talk it out if you don't know. Don't be afraid to try new things.
again,
welcome
E

SamethP
09-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Hi! You can air mail your black ghosts to me and I could fish sit for you until you find a bigger tank :hmm3grin2orange:

Haha I'm sure you would, but I doubt I'd see them again ;) haha.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :) I'm going out today to price up a 4 or 5 foot tank for the near future (for ghosties, oscars, etc).

WaMiss
09-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Hi SamethP. Welcome to the best fish forum! I'm hoping to add a black ghost knife to my 135gallon after its cycled! Such cool fish!thumbs2:

SamethP
09-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Haha thank you :) I was actually referred here by the guy who I purchase my fish from. Be careful with the ghosties, with my little experience they killed & ate half of the neon tetra population overnight :S

Cyberra
09-04-2011, 01:33 AM
^_^ Welcome to the community

SamethP
09-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Thank you :)

Kriblover
09-04-2011, 04:17 AM
Welcome to ac!!!!

goddessecouture
09-04-2011, 05:49 AM
Welcome to the AC! And a footie fan too! Yay!

SamethP
09-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Thanks everyone :)

and goddessecouture, what kind of footie are you referring to? :P

Lady Hobbs
09-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Welcome to AC.

A 4 ft tank is even too small for a BGK. They grow up to 20". They also eat small fish.

I'd return them before the problems even started and get some smaller fish.

SamethP
09-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean, they can get huge! Today I went and spoke to the guy at the store where I got them from and he said that if they get too big then I can sell them back to him if my tank isn't big enough. Which is fine. And he said the same thing about the Oscars.

But you're right, the tanks I have (and am planning to have) are too small for ghosties. I kinda just bought them because they were really cool fish (blush)