PDA

View Full Version : How to Prune Java Moss ????

Strider199
08-29-2011, 10:59 PM
When I first tied my $10.00 worth of java moss to my driftwood awhile back I felt like I had to go out and buy me some more to fill the other spots I wanted the Java to grow on. Now I'm looking at a big nice looking bush which has taken over the driftwood. I bought some long handled scissors for pruning plants. I have just finished doing a search in the moss section but there does not seem to be alot of info on how to prune your java moss. I can already see it's going to mess up the 55 gallon tank.
My plan is to turn off both my filters and air stone. Using the scissors cut some two inches off the java moss and try and catch the off cuts in a medium sized fish net.
Any other hints before I start this little endeavour this coming weekend?:help:

Brhino
08-29-2011, 11:23 PM
try to grab the stuff you don't want anymore in one hand while you cut it with the other hand. That should keep most of it from floating every which way.

Strider199
08-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Thanks Brhino, I'll try that to start. The one thing I see about doing it that way, it could take some time. But hey thats why I'm waiting till the Long-weekend.:ssmile:

crazylax30
08-29-2011, 11:48 PM
putting your hands in the water wont do anything will it?

Brhino
08-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Most of us spend a lot of time with our hands in our tanks. So long as your hands are clean, it's not a problem.

crazylax30
08-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks Brhino, i thought so but you can never be too sure

boolz
09-14-2012, 11:35 PM
There is an easier way, watch this video at 3:10. This guy somehow vacuums any moss trimmings as he cuts them. I've been trying to identify this tool with no success. Anyone knows what it is??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCITFjHiWo&feature=channel&list=UL

Goes to 11!
09-14-2012, 11:50 PM
There is an easier way, watch this video at 3:10. This guy somehow vacuums any moss trimmings as he cuts them. I've been trying to identify this tool with no success. Anyone knows what it is??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCITFjHiWo&feature=channel&list=UL
It's the end of his python. :22:

korith
09-15-2012, 01:00 AM
putting your hands in the water wont do anything will it?

Wash your hands before you put them into the tank, especially if you wear lotion or stuff like that. After you are done doing whatever you want in your aquarium, wash your hands again and with soap.

homemadepopcorn
09-15-2012, 02:08 AM
I just tear most of mine off the driftwood (carefully) and let it grow back... Although its becoming a problem as I'm running out of room for the stuff.

Lady Hobbs
09-15-2012, 04:39 AM
That's what I did too. I just tore off what I didn't want. I never cut it.

Knightia
09-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Sorry to jump in here, but the parts you cut off...can they be re-used? I.e. tie them elsewhere?

Goes to 11!
09-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but the parts you cut off...can they be re-used? I.e. tie them elsewhere?
Absolutely, I sometimes send them to friends in Jersey [Like next week IE :-P]... :hmm3grin2orange:.

Knightia
09-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Great. My moss is getting a bit long and straggly in my tank so I'll have a trim and retie the trimmings to the other bare branches. Moss seems to be excellent value for money in this respect!

luv2sk8te17
09-15-2012, 03:31 PM
just trim your moss as your doing a water change. it will get sucked out with the water.

homemadepopcorn
09-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Great. My moss is getting a bit long and straggly in my tank so I'll have a trim and retie the trimmings to the other bare branches. Moss seems to be excellent value for money in this respect!

All plants by their nature are a good value if you provide what they need! You could easily end up with 10x the amount of plants that you paid for.

Knightia
09-15-2012, 07:26 PM
All plants by their nature are a good value if you provide what they need! You could easily end up with 10x the amount of plants that you paid for.

I knew someone would jump on this. Lol. I meant it's cheap, grows fast, and an idiot can grow it with no special requirements (probably why I'm doing well with it). Put this in the context VS very high maintenance plants = value for money. No?