PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Set Up an Invert Aquarium <10 Gallons

Critterstruck
08-29-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking 3-8 gallons - I only have about a 16 x 10 space in which to keep it, and I want to start a saltwater tank with local wildlife, which is something I've helped maintain several times in the past. I thought it might be high time I started my own.

We have stars, sea anemones, and aquatic hermits locally, and I was looking into setting up a miniature aquarium with a few of these. I was thinking one star, one anemone, and maybe like two or three hermit crabs, depending on the size of the aquarium. A sea urchin would be cool, but it really depends on what I can find. I've seen a lot of starfish this year, and I haven't seen a live sea urchin in a long time. I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to go about making this happen, before I leap into it and make a mess of things.

frefal13
08-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Personally I would be careful with starting such as small tank as your first salt water tank. Also most anemones that people want to keep in tanks would outgrow such a small tank. A lot of starfish are also difficult to feed in tanks, again depending on what they are. If you could give us more info about the wildlife you are interested in we can better help you.

Critterstruck
08-29-2011, 10:48 PM
http://www.jaxshells.org/p002bb.htm common Lined Sea Star

I can't find the anemones, or any information on them, but I've never seen one get very big.

Cliff
08-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Some anemones can get up to 2 to 3 feet in captivity

Below is some info on them

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=80802

genocidex
08-30-2011, 12:56 AM
holy heck batman !!!!!!! 3 foot anemones ?!?!?!?!?! id be afraid of that thing :P. does seem like a small tank for a sw....

Strider199
08-30-2011, 01:06 AM
Some anemones can get up to 2 to 3 feet in captivity

Below is some info on them

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=80802

Cliff that is some nice info. Wow.thumbs2:
Your just going out of your way to get me hooked on saltwater again aren't you? I have to stay away from this part of the forum for the time being. I'm just not into moving our living room around so I can fit another large tank into it.

A 30 gallon would be the minimum tank size I would try for a small invertebrate tank Critterstruck. The swings in water parameters wont be too extreme as long as they are checked daily.

Critterstruck
08-30-2011, 04:09 AM
o_o Dear God. Now that is the kind of information I have been looking for!

The ones we have around here are often found in and around granite groin formations, which were supposed to save the beach from getting washed away. I have often wondered if perhaps they somehow go out to sea to grow bigger, or if their being there is an accident. I simply can find no information on them at all. This is really helpful! Thanks!

I can definitely testify to anemones eating anything that comes within reach: we had one when I was helping around the local state park that I happened to spot snatching a passing minnow by the tail ... and that is the end of any desire I might have to keep small fish in the same aquarium with a sea anemone, and that one was no bigger than my hand, just imagine if it grows over 1' .... I suppose when I have a large enough aquarium, I will let you all know how it turns out!

In the meantime, I see a lot of saltwater aquariums under 10 gallons, and I've always found the notion very tempting; though, again, I have never kept one on my own - and certainly the people around town are no help at all, because they don't do much in the way of testing/maintaining their water in the first place. They talk of it as though it takes care of itself (hence: I have been around them since I was a child and I know nothing about them).

So I suppose I'll wait and see if I can't manage to get a space in this room larger than about 16" x 12". :) Much larger. I really love invertebrates.