PDA

View Full Version : 2 Identical Banana Plants, massive growth on one, near death on the other

nmb7895
08-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Both bought at the same time
Both from the same store
Both receive the same light (one is on the left corner, one on the right)
18 watt bulb in a 25 gallon

However, one plant (the one on the left) has huge bright green leaves rising almost to the surface and new leaves just keep growing. It has long, deep roots intertwined into the substrate.

The other, only has the banana bits left. It's the only plant in its area of the aquarium. All its leaves died shortly after putting it in, and its roots never grew. No leaves seem to be sprouting from it either. Only the banana pieces are left, and have been for months now. They seem to do alright, but the plant never seems to get any new growth, and no roots ever really developed. It's not dead, and the banana seems healthy, it just won't grow at all...

So what exactly is going on? The healthy one with lots of growth is in an area of the aquarium where there are tons of plants competing for resources, while the dying one is alone in a corner not having to share anything.

Lady Hobbs
08-29-2011, 07:22 PM
It happens. Not all are as heathly as others. Could one be in the substrate too deep? They can not be buried.

nmb7895
08-29-2011, 07:32 PM
they're not buried, the bananas are just sitting on the substrate

Lady Hobbs
08-29-2011, 07:33 PM
I had a couple like that myself. One was growing to the waters surface and the other did nuttin'.

nmb7895
08-29-2011, 07:42 PM
well, as far as I know it isn't dead (it's been leafless for a months)

A black kuhli loach has taken a liking to it anyway. He buries himself under it and I guess he considers that his home. So I guess it stays :)