PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Question...

MeganL3985
07-31-2007, 05:56 PM
I've been really interested in those electric blue and the yellow dwarf cichlids. I was thinking about maybe putting those in the 29 gallon that I have.....but I don't know really anything about them. As in how big they get, how much room/gallons they need a piece. Can anyone give me a few bits of info about these? How many could I fit in a 29 gal, if any? lol I just think they are so bright and beautiful!

sergo
07-31-2007, 06:02 PM
are you talking about malawi cichlids maybe?

MeganL3985
07-31-2007, 06:07 PM
oiy...lol I might be...I am relying on the little name card from walmart that was beside the tank! **shakes head**, they have them at petsmart too but didnt' get the name there. I guess they are some sort of cichlid. Electric blue and a really bright yellow color. They looked to be about 2" long when I saw them.

sergo
07-31-2007, 06:15 PM
i can't give you any links right now (at work) but if you google cichild or mbuna you will get a lot good info.

Drumachine09
07-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Powder blue cichlid (pseuedotropheus socolofi):
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:b8rP5y6QdR34oM:http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/img/socolofi1.jpg

Electric yellow cichlid (labidochromis caeruleus):
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:q-fOtdbg51hX6M:http://members.home.nl/edwin.kroon/Afbeeldingen/caruleus2.gif

MeganL3985
07-31-2007, 06:16 PM
If these are Malawi's i'm talking about, can someone please move my post over there? **blushes** stupid walmart....

Drumachine09
07-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Check the links in my other post.

MeganL3985
07-31-2007, 06:18 PM
They sure look like the same ones i'm talking about. lol

Drumachine09
07-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Ok, i moved the thread for you.

MeganL3985
07-31-2007, 06:26 PM
Thank you much Drum! :)

Drumachine09
07-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Anytime.

Back on subject.

If you do malawis, they will all pe agressive. However, powder blues, yellow labs, and red zebras are more passive from what ive heard. I used to have a pair of powder blues, and a pair of bumblebees together, and with plenty of hiding spots, they usually mind their own business.

sergo
07-31-2007, 06:47 PM
rusties seem to be faily passive. also keep in mind the male and female rule (1 to 3-4). i really suggest you read up on them as they can get confusing in a hurry. check my profile to see what my mbuna/cichlid tank consists of currently.

MeganL3985
07-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Yeah they're already getting confusing, I won't be putting up the new tank for probably another month or so, so until then i'll be doing my research. Thanks guys :)

jessie
07-31-2007, 11:02 PM
I have to disagree on the red zebras being mild mannered. I have a 72 gallon mbuna tank with 200 pounds of rock and my red zebra male terrorized everybody. The yellow labs are pretty docile though, and they are about the most docile mbuna you can get. From my experience, anything in the "Pseudotropheus" species is fairly aggressive. I have had several and never one that was not aggressive. As a general rule, labidochromis are the most docile, follwed by pseudotropheus, followed by melanochromis. I'm not sure about keeping these guys in a 29 gallon. They do get 4-5 inches, and you have to have a large enough tank that you can add lots of rocks and allow them to establish territories. Also, they are very filthy fish and plan on having about 3 times the recommended filtration. With a 29 gallon, I would be more inclined to do some dwarf cichlids or one species only for the mbunas (with mostly females).

MeganL3985
08-01-2007, 12:56 AM
They also had african cichlids at walmart, not that i'm getting them from there, but they were pretty cool looking and the info card said they only get 2.5-3.5 inches long. Are these just "african cichlids" or are they something more specific? lol I have no idea about these guys.

jessie
08-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Alot of times when the tanks are just labeled "African cichlids" you could be getting just about anything....there may be hybrids (mixed breeds), mbunas, peacocks, so you don't know what you are really getting unless you can ID the fish. I would avoid the mixed cichlid tank so you know exactly what species you are getting. Many of those mixed in these tanks really shouldn't be mixed when they are adults. Most of my Malawis are about 4-5 inches at their adult length. So, 2.5 inches is a bit on the small end for size. There are many species of African cichlids, but not all come from the same lake.

YaYgoldFish
08-01-2007, 03:14 AM
You could always type in "african cichlid" in google and hit "images" then just browse through until you find the one you saw.

MeganL3985
08-01-2007, 03:48 AM
I think i've given up on the cichlids for now. I think i'd get a little too over my head with that one. Maybe i'll stick to some dwarf gouramis or something. lol they're pretty too :)

YaYgoldFish
08-01-2007, 03:55 AM
Thats too bad, in your 29g you could of had a couple(2) colorful rams, kribs, OR convicts wich are all easy and fun to breed, not sure about the rams tho. With the rams you could of had a nice planted tank with them, a few other tankmates, and a nice coconut for them to hide in if they mate lol :)

Spyder
08-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Meghan, don't give up to quickly on the africans, they are wonderful interesting fish. It may seem a little confusing at first but once you get into it and do a little researce it's simple. I do Drawf Tanks and Shellies and it is so interesting and fun to watch. Very active fish, easy to spawn and care for. With the fish you are interested in you will need to watch their diet, 90% vegitation and keep the water hard and the pH up and the rest is fun.

sergo
08-01-2007, 01:23 PM
kribs and rams are neat fish if you wanted to start simple. when the kribs pair up they stay together almost constantly like little love birds. when mine paired off they worked together to keep my little jewel in his place and they still do. it's funny to watch them work together, kind of like a tag team. they also have a color transformation when they finally pair off too, their color really comes out. don't give up, it just takes some reading up on them a few times before it starts to make sense because it's such a vast species.

jessie
08-02-2007, 02:02 AM
The Africans actually are fairly easy to care for and hardy once you figure out how to maintain the tank/water parameters and learn about the diet they need. Mine are alot more tolerant of nitrates than my community fish and they seem to be fairly tolerant of my mistakes. Just know that Malawis would be a species only tank, but once you do a little research on them, they will not seem so overwhelming. I also think that dwarf cichlids are cool. I had some blue rams, which are kind of delicate. If you like the look of blue rams, but want a hardier fish, you can look for bolivian rams (which are also really cool), but more hardy. I have to agree though that dwarf gouramis are cute, and you could mix them in a standard community tank. (I have one of these guys and he is adorable).