PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp-only diseases

ekfishlover2011
08-29-2011, 03:54 AM
I had gotten 65 ghost shrimp from the store once, and they didnt actually look too healthy, but i needed them bad and the store has had a super overload of demand, meaning if im not there the day that they get them, i dont get them. Ghosts are at and all time demand for some reason. Anyway, so i got there 2 hrs after truck and got 65 of these little guys form a tank of death (truck was 2 days late, we all assumed they were dead from being... somewhere too long), hoping they were just dying of stress. I planned to put 25 in the 40 gallon like always and that would make fish happy for a week put rest in brackish water to breed. Well, 6 were already dead by he time we go home, again assuming stress, the 25 were all gone by the next day from the tank after fish devoured them. The ones in the breeder tank kept dying, 10 or more a day die die die!!!! It was horrible! Rather than waste my money i gave dead ones to my fish to eat because fish guy said "doesnt matter to fish, dead or alive, theyll eat it". No fish were affected at all from eating any of these. By the end of the week i had 5 little baby shrimps in the breed tank. Yay! But they soon died. Another week passed and i now had one living shrimp in that tank. Still none of my fish were sick from eating them. I took that one remaining shrimp because it didnt have eggs so it was of no use to me anymore as a breeder and fed it to betta. Bye bye shrimp breeder tank. That was about a month ago. I had a sponge filter in the tank, plants, sand, a shell and climbing apparatuses. I fed once a day at same time as i fed 40 gallon. What happened? Are there any diseases that are contagious only to other shrimp that they could've had? Did i do something wrong in the care? I bought another 25 this week and put them in 40 gallon and i have 8 left still! Yay! I might try to restart breeder tank with any left after vacation once i figure out if their deaths were my fault or the stores or disease or what.

Jacko
08-29-2011, 06:00 AM
There are actually quite a few shrimp diseases, most common is probably bacterial or fungal infection, they'll turn a cloudy color rather than the transparent they should be... very common on ghost shrimp IME since its can triggered by stress and the method for catching and shipping ghost shrimp is far from good for them.

http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/134-Shrimp-Diseases-Bacterial-Infection
Check that out, might shed a bbit of light on it.

There are also quite a few invert only parasites which could be the cause of your problem.

Lady Hobbs
08-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Why would you put them in a brackish tank? Ghost shrimp are freshwater as far as I knew.

They go fast because they are feeders for fish.

Jacko
08-29-2011, 07:54 AM
Why would you put them in a brackish tank? Ghost shrimp are freshwater as far as I knew.

For breeding purposes, most of the ghost shrimp species are low form and need brackish for the larvae to survive... like amano shrimp.

ekfishlover2011
08-29-2011, 01:24 PM
yes, exactly. They need brackish for breeding. Thats what the guy at store said when i said i wanted to try to breed myself. They actually house them in brackish at the store and they ususally do great. This past time i actually seem to have gotten good ones, still about 8 left of 25 a whole week later. And thats with 10 fish feasting on their population as well. :)

Lady Hobbs
08-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up!! I wasn't sure and wanted to know and now I do!!

ekfishlover2011
08-29-2011, 10:49 PM
No problem. You seem to know a lot more about other things than i do, so its great to be able to teach you something. :)

ekfishlover2011
08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
I think Jacko's link there at the first reply was their problem. Whenever they would shed theyd shed and then stagger away from molt skin and then fall over and die, then another shrimp would run over to try and eat instantly and then that one would end up with same problem. They didnt ever get cloudy until they were already laying on sides dead (or paralyzed and i assumed dead), but they did have white-ish legs and were slightly discolored more coppery red-tinted than the ideal clear. My new ones are all healthy colorless clear with maybe a red spot here or there but thats scars from being attacked. Its a hard life being a feeder shrimp in a mostly tetra tank... Thanks for that link!