PDA

View Full Version : General Food question

zackish
07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Right now I am just feeding my gouramis and cardinals flake food. I have been for about 3 weeks. I know I need to throw some variety in their diet so I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I was thinking about some freeze dried stuff.

Also, I was wondering if algae wafers are good enough for my otoclinus as they have cleaned the tank of algae pretty well now.

I also plan on getting about 5 albino corys. What would be a good food to get for them? Some kind of sinking shrimp pellets? Or do they eat algae wafers too?

sergo
07-31-2007, 02:43 PM
algae wafers are good and so is zuccini for variety. you may find that your fish may not eat it at first but after they figure out what it is they'll get right on it. i freeze mine then just thaw it before it goes into the tank. others will blach it before putting into the tank and still others will just put it in the tank. how you do it will be your discression.

hungryhound
07-31-2007, 02:46 PM
Right now I am just feeding my gouramis and cardinals flake food. I have been for about 3 weeks. I know I need to throw some variety in their diet so I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I was thinking about some freeze dried stuff.

I feed mine New life spectrum, and and a spirila flake food. Then occasionally drop in freeze dried blood worms/ Freeze dried brine shrimp and an occasional treat of frozen brine shrimp. And the occasional vegetable.

Also, I was wondering if algae wafers are good enough for my otoclinus as they have cleaned the tank of algae pretty well now.

Your ottos will be fine with algae wafers.

I also plan on getting about 5 albino corys. What would be a good food to get for them? Some kind of sinking shrimp pellets? Or do they eat algae wafers too?

I am sure that they would eat the algae wafers, but I am not sure if they are more of a carnivore or herbivore. If carnivore it may be best to get a sinking pellet that has more animal protien.

Fishguy2727
07-31-2007, 08:23 PM
NLS makes small sinking foods that will work very well for all of those. Just gently drop some of the NLS all purpose food onto the surface, it sinks, but will stay at the surface for a little bit if you drop it right above the surface.

SkarloeysMom
08-05-2007, 03:07 AM
NLS makes small sinking foods that will work very well for all of those.

I just got a small container of this for only $5 from a LFS that changed ownership recently and marked down all the stuff that was still in the store when they bought it. I've been feeding it to my bettas and my community and its a hit.

My otos ate algae wafers when they were in the 10g but they've been chowing on the algae in the 20g since I moved them in there and they seem so much happier now. I'm hoping they will find plenty to eat in the bigger tank without having to feed them wafers. So far they're doing fine.

RobbieG
08-05-2007, 03:13 AM
I use freeze dried shrimp and bloodworms to give mine a little variety - my gourami goes ape for either.

zackish
08-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Ok today the guy at my LFS recommended me Micro-crabs, Cyclopeeze. It is made by tetra. Is this a good food to use as a treat or should I still look for some freeze-dried shrimp.
I guess this stuff is a real good color enhancer too and it says to feed 2-3 times weekly.

RobbieG
08-06-2007, 05:55 PM
The only place I've seen the FD shrimp is at walmart (3.00 a bottle)

I haven't tried the crabs I'd expect them to be about the same thing

Fishguy2727
08-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Some Tetra stuff is pretty good, but overall don't give them too much credit. The best diet really is NLS. If you can find it, try it.

zackish
08-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Some Tetra stuff is pretty good, but overall don't give them too much credit. The best diet really is NLS. If you can find it, try it.

My LFS and pretty much any pet store now carries Omega one which I am using.
I can onlly find NLS online and such.

Fishguy2727
08-08-2007, 01:20 PM
It is worth getting, even if you have to get it online.