PDA

View Full Version : home renovation safe for aquarium

higgypop
07-31-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm in process of renovating my kitchen myself - using low VOC paints etc. I have to remove wallpaper and don't want to use a steamer - apparently it causes the old glues to offgas - so I wanted to know if there were any suggestions on how to do this. I've read about using fabric softener with water (could use Seventh Generation - solvent free with lavendar oil - biodegradable), vinegar with water (very smelly and not very effective) and there are variety of commercial products - but most use solvents that could cause problems. I've read about tank disasters from using solvents etc. that produce fumes - as they become aerated by the airpumps and kill the fish. Tank is too big to move....any ideas?!?!? Thanks Susan:11:

Futureboy
09-08-2007, 07:38 AM
perhaps you could use longer tubing and have the pumps in a differant room?

im not sure you would probably lose pressure but it might help?

MeganL3985
09-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Honestly I dont think you would have any problems removing your old wallpaper with steam. I've never heard of the "offgas" with old glues. My dad used to renovate old houses a long time ago and I also helped him remove wallpaper (with steam) from our old house that was 120 years old. The only thing I would worry about is just getting proper ventilation or putting a fan near your tank to move the air.

Lady Hobbs
09-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Your tank is fine. Many user a sprayer bottle and get the paper good and wet.

cocoa_pleco
09-08-2007, 04:09 PM
lol, higgypop hasnt been on since july 31st so i dont think shes coming back

MeganL3985
09-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Lol I guess when someone responds to an old thread, I always assume its a new one! I never think to look at the original date...lol :)