PDA

View Full Version : Harmonious living

wasklywabbit
07-31-2007, 01:38 AM
I'm thinking of starting an angel tank. With all of the experience out there, what fish will live in relative harmony with Angels?

I have a 160L (40gal I think) 60x60x35cm so what would be a good number of fish to have? I'm planning to start with little baby angels... awww!

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2007, 02:05 AM
My views on angelfish have changed quite abit from a year ago. I've had so many aggression issues, separating this one and that one until I have wondered why I ever got them.

Angelfish themselves do not live harmoniously I'm sorry to say. I have 9 and have them in 3 tanks and need to get 2 more tanks for them. They pick a mate and once they pick, all others are kept away, chased, nipped, etc. They do very well for 7-8 months and then it's constant bickering.

They need at least 10 gallon each with lots and lots of hiding places. I loved having a bunch of young ones together in a tank but it didn't last for long. There is always an alpha male and when no male, an alpha female who rules the roast. One comes out of hiding she'd chases it right back there.

Problem with these guys is you can't tell the males from the females very well and even if you end up with a pair, there's nothing to say they will get along. I would really recommend just getting 2 but be prepared that even those might need to be separated in time.

About anything goes with them. I've had rasbora's, tetras, neons, danio's, silver dollars, clown loaches, cory's, etc. During spawning, they won't want anything with them, tho. They should be moved to a tank alone.

wasklywabbit
07-31-2007, 04:54 AM
Thanks Lady Hobbs. You are a legend. I always think that fish must be lonely just one in a tank with all the others having friends so I think I'll start investigating some other guys that are a bit more friendly toward each other.