PDA

View Full Version : New Member returning to hobby after 20+ years

procyg
08-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Hello All,
I am returning to the hobby after a 20+ year hiatus after being gently nudged by my two children. We have been keeping Beta fish in a 2.5 gallon for the past 2 years. The tank was divided so we had two males at the beginning but after one passed away around 18 months I decided to let the other one stretch out and has been alone since then.

So I picked up a 29 gallon tank and set it up with 1 amazon sword, 1 pygmy chain sword 6 stems of moneywort and 1 flame ivy plant (sold to me under a different name so I didn't know that it wasn't an aquatic plant) I planned to do a fish less cycle but could not locate pure ammonia as everything had surfactants in it. So I decided to cycle my tank the old fashioned way. I know it isn't the best but the prospect of not having fish in the tank for 4-6 weeks wasnt going to fly well with my young kids anyway. I picked up 6 zebra danios from a big box store and they have adjusted to their new home quite well. I plan on doing 15% water changes twice a week during cycling as well as feeding them sparingly.

I look forward to being part of the community

Lady Hobbs
08-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Welcome to AC. Welcome back to the family of fish lovers.

I sent you a PM.

genocidex
08-23-2011, 06:02 PM
welcome to the wonderful AC, and back to the hobby :P be careful tho, mts is a common syndrome here. (multiple tank syndrome)

procyg
08-23-2011, 06:41 PM
welcome to the wonderful AC, and back to the hobby :P be careful tho, mts is a common syndrome here. (multiple tank syndrome)

Thankfully my wife keeps me grounded or I would have a 90 gallon tank right now and be in debt getting the accessories

Cyberra
08-24-2011, 03:10 AM
^_^ Welcome to the community, from the resident betta lover

gadget228
08-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Cliff
08-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the forum

stephenh10
08-24-2011, 05:49 PM
welcome mate to AC,, you obviously have experience so I'm goignt to ask a question as i'm new to fish keeping,

how often should I feed my fish (guppy's mollies and platy's ) and how often should I do water changes

help would be appreciated

procyg
08-24-2011, 07:40 PM
welcome mate to AC,, you obviously have experience so I'm goignt to ask a question as i'm new to fish keeping,

how often should I feed my fish (guppy's mollies and platy's ) and how often should I do water changes

help would be appreciated

Welcome to you as well! My experience is a little dated but I hope I can help out. Everybody has different opinions on how often to feed their fish, for me it comes down to self control on not adding too much food during a feeding. (which I am not sure I can trust myself at multiple times a day) I feed my fish once a day, six days a week. I believe that the live bearers do well with small feedings twice a day but again it has to be smaller feedings. Some stores only feed their fish every other day or I have heard every 3 days.

as for water changes, I am a big believer in smaller but more frequent changes. I like to do a 10%-15% change once a week. Make sure you are using a tap water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramines.

stephenh10
08-25-2011, 09:33 AM
ok thanks mate brilliant help

DylanisHawttt
08-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Welcome back to fishkeeping!

Welcome to the forum :22: