PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering...

aquarium kid
08-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi, I am new to plants and wonder if I need to add c02 or if it would help them grow. A couple of days ago I got a java fern and an Anubias nana. I have them under a 25 watt 5500k bulb anchored on some drift wood. Would co2 help there growth much? Just so you know they are in a 46 gallon bow front tank.

SLeen
08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
you dont really need co2 for just a couple plants, especially not hardy low light types like the ones you have. All plants like fertilizer though. you could get some tabs that just go under the gravel.

But they should be fine.

smaug
08-17-2011, 09:49 PM
plus 1 sleen

mermaidwannabe
08-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Yeah, these are hardy, no-maintenance plants. I have them in my tanks with just standard aquarium lighting and no ferts. They absorb the nitrates in the tank and are doing just fine.

If you'd like some additional visual interest and no maintenance necessary, try marimo mossballs. They just sit on the substrate. When you vacuum your gravel you can roll them around a bit so they aren't always sitting on just one side or in just one place, but other than that, they're completely self-sufficient.

-- mermaidwannabe

Stlouisfish
08-18-2011, 02:35 AM
+1 with everyone above - I also have a few java ferns & anubias and I just have regular lighting from the hood that came with my 46 bowed tank & no fertilizer needed - those are "easy" plants.

aquarium kid
08-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the information everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows a good moss that is low maintenance and low light. I have read that marimo moss balls will take over your tank in time. Do you know any mosses that won't over run your tank?

Angel keeper
08-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Java ferns and Anubias are both slow growing plants which doesnt need much light so co2 is not really needed for success. Mosses such as Java moss require low light and maintenance to an extent. Java moss from my experience grows towards the light so you may want to trim the moss as you will see strand of them growing upwards more than you see them spread like a carpet. Also, Java moss can be hard to get rid of totally and they can survive out of water for a year before actually die off.

mermaidwannabe
08-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Where did you read that mossballs would tank over your tank? I've had mine for several months, and they just sit there like little dark green beanbag cushions on the substrate and don't bother anyone or anything. I haven't seen them spread or invade in any way.

As for java moss -- if you go with that, you should put a prefilter sponge over the intake tube of your filter, otherwise, strands of it could get into your strainer and clog your filter. Just a precaution ... Other than that, it's low- to-no maintenance. If it grows too thickly, just trim it a little with an ordinary scissors.

-- mermaid

SkipW
08-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Unless you add a lot more light, co2 isn't going to do much for the plants in that tank. Also, I don't think either of those plants are root feeders so plant tabs may not be very beneficial. Seachem Florish (liquid ferts) would be a better choice if you were looking to perk them up a little but not necessary. Like others have said, they should do fine the way they are.

aquarium kid
08-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks for all the suggestion. I googled moss balls and I found out that they are supposed to move and if they like your tank they will take over by multiplying rapidly. Does anyone know a moss besides Java Moss that would work in my tank. Thanks in advance.

Jacko
08-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Most mosses are lower light anyway, sometimes brighter or darker green depending on light and ferts.

Marimo moss balls are an algae (clado) but very slow growing so I doubt you'll see any incredible or outrageous growth from them... java, xmas, Taiwan and the others are likely to go crazy faster than a marimo moss ball will. However, any co2 or co2 replacement (flourish Excel) is likely to kill your marimo, algae no like co2.