PDA

View Full Version : Which to add first?

dragoonwoman
08-17-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm currently cycling a 25g tank that's planted, with Manzy wood and AquariumPlants.com substrate. Right now there's nothing in it but pest snails, but my stocking plan is chili rasboras, oto cats and shrimp.

Chili rasboras are about the same size as the shrimp so I don't foresee much in the way of predation other than some of the "fleas". The tank is moderately planted with some charcoal tubes added for extra shrimp hiding places. I think everyone will co-exist fairly well in this setup.

I already have the shrimp that will ultimately reside in the 25. I was wondering if I should add the FISH first then the shrimp, or go ahead and move the shrimp in (when the cycle is complete, obviously) then add the fish.

Thanks, anybody.

Stlouisfish
08-17-2011, 06:23 PM
I was advised to add shrimp after my tank was already established for a few months (completely cycled and already containing fish) . Some of them are "filter feeders" so you would need to have some nutrients built up in your water column (just the water in the tank) and others are into algae which won't show up right away either.

I put in some amano shrimp about 5 mos after I put in fish and they are doing well.

SkipW
08-17-2011, 06:33 PM
+1 on waiting to add the shrimp. They are much more sensitive to Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. I would wait about 2 weeks after you've added your fish just to be sure you don't have any spikes.

dragoonwoman
08-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Great, thanks folks. :22:

The shrimp are currently in a 5g tank and doing well, so there's no rush to move them anywhere.

I'll give the fish a couple weeks to settle in and whatnot, then move the shrimp. I'd already decided to wait on the otos because I know they can starve to death if the tank isn't "mature" enough to support them.