PDA

View Full Version : new Koran Angel

finest
07-30-2007, 03:41 AM
Hi,

I have a new Koran Angel (juv), and it’s peaky of his food. What vegetable that I can give on my Koran angel.

Lady Hobbs
07-30-2007, 04:03 AM
I gave my fish romane lettuce....not the iceberg kind. The angels are always picking at it. I tried the frozen, blanced peas (mashed) that many others use but mine won't touch it.

finest
07-30-2007, 05:08 AM
I gave my fish romane lettuce....not the iceberg kind. The angels are always picking at it. I tried the frozen, blanced peas (mashed) that many others use but mine won't touch it.

thanx! what are the preperation?

Lady Hobbs
07-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Any lettuce naturally grown without insecticides. Peas are of the frozen variety, boiled a few minutes and mashed up. Fish like zucchini squash as well. Slice a few thin slices, pop it in the microwave a minute. If it doesn't sink, stick it back in and microwave it another minute. Or just boil it a minute. Some will eat fresh spinach, parsley, other veggies.

Rue
07-30-2007, 05:42 AM
This is a SW angel? You can give them the odd bit of lettuce, but I imagine they need kelp or other seaweed...you can buy it dried and clip it inside the tank...

There are also other algal pellets and formulations...

unleashed
07-31-2007, 03:02 AM
dried nori (seaweed - must not have any additives), marine algaes and fresh/live sea sponges are all good food for korans. what size tank is he in?

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2007, 03:26 AM
I got some Nori thinking my fish would just love it. Even my silver dollars wouldn't touch it. If I was a fish I'd eat it. I think it looks kinda good.

Dave66
08-09-2007, 07:55 AM
I try to avoid using terrestial foods with marines, as they lack the mineral and nutrient profile they are accustomed to. I feed my herbivores green algae (cultured on river cobbles in kiddie pools on my deck), live macroalgae from large refugiums, and dried algae emulsified in various vitamin and mineral substances. There are frozen foods containing sponge that your Koran needs. You can also tempt it with Cyclop-eeze mixed with it's foods.

Dave

Fishguy2727
08-09-2007, 12:32 PM
The best thing would be New Life Spectrum.

gm72
08-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Dave66 has some great ideas there. I wouldn't have thought to intentionally grow my own algae, but it does make perfect sense. Dave, is there anything specific that you do to encourage algae growth?

Fishguy, the unpaid NLS pitchman! Seriously though, great foods, no question!

Dave66
08-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Dave66 has some great ideas there. I wouldn't have thought to intentionally grow my own algae, but it does make perfect sense. Dave, is there anything specific that you do to encourage algae growth?

Fishguy, the unpaid NLS pitchman! Seriously though, great foods, no question!

Easy enough. I use brackish water, sunlight, and a couple weeks to get a good crop. Brackish works better than full marine, as the latter just makes the water green. In freshwater, I use the sun and an ammonia source (guppies, goldfish if I'm in a hurry) to accelerate growth. Growing algae t'aint rocket science by any means.

Dave

gm72
08-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Great idea there, thank you for the information. I figured it would be quite simple but also thought there would be some good tips you could, and did, provide. Thanks again!

2manyfish
08-11-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm no expert on angels but I do believe they must have some sponge in their diets. You can find frozen foods at your LFS made just for angels. You can also buy dried nori at the grocery store (the kind you use in sushi). It's much cheaper this way - you just have to make sure the nori isn't seasoned.
Growing your own is a good idea too if you have the time/space for it!

Fishguy2727
08-12-2007, 01:49 AM
The nutrition is what the fish needs. Frequently that means specific foods to get that nutrition in the fish. But the fish doesn't care if the genetics of the food is of a certain species or from the Phylum Porifera, what matters is that the nutrition provided naturally by sponges is provided if that is part of the fish's natural diet. This may mean foods that have sponges in them, it may mean other foods that provide all the nutrition for the fish, nutrients from sponges included. So it does not mean that the fish HAS to get those nutrients from sponges necessarily, but it does need those nutrients.