PDA

View Full Version : Orange Bee Shrimp

Cyberra
08-16-2011, 04:14 AM
I don't have any shrimp tanks (as of yet), but when I saw these little critters I was greatly tempted. My lfs has cherry, blue, tiger, and amano shrimp in one tank, and another tank for what they labelled "orange bee shrimp". I loved their bright orange color. Looking at them tempted me to break out the 5-gal and set it up as a shrimp tank.

Anyone know anything about these guys?

genocidex
08-16-2011, 04:26 AM
http://www.planetinverts.com/Orange%20Bee%20Shrimp.html

that should give you all the info you should need, seems like good info too

Cyberra
08-16-2011, 04:42 AM
I think my water's too hard... Between 7 and 7.5

Jacko
08-16-2011, 06:42 AM
What your lfs got in might be sunkist shrimp, a lot more common than the one in the PI article, also known as orange bee.
caridina cf. propinqua (http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&q=caridina%20cf.%20propinqua&sa=N)

Not many truly orange shrimp and these are the most common, tangerine tigers and pumpkin nrocaridinas are both still quite rare in the hobby and the orange baubauti morphine isn't common.

If it is a sunkist then they'd do fine in your water, though they require brackish water to breed and like most low form shrimp (amano, ghost and atya species come to mind) they're pretty hardy and easy to keep.

If you end up getting them good luck! Shrimp are pretty cool to keep imo

-Alex-

Cyberra
08-16-2011, 06:58 AM
I might not start a shrimp tank anytime too soon... All the threads I've looked at say shrimp need heavy plant cover, and I have yet to try live plants. I don't have the room or the money for the lighting and the other equipment.

Lady Hobbs
08-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Every time I set up a shrimp tank, within a month I'm tearing it down and throwing the shrimp into another occupied tank. I get bored soooo easily! LOL I also never approve of my monthly electric bill so don't want to run another heater, filter and lights. *sigh So......I continue to stare at my empty 5 and 10 gallon and knock the dust off them.