PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose catfish? Pleco?

crackatinny
07-30-2007, 12:22 AM
In a post recently I seen bristenose catfish refered to as a pleco (if I read it correctly)

Is this correct or are they in fact different species, reason I ask is, the fish shops around here always tell people that a couple of bristlenoses will help in keeping there tank clean, no matter the size of the tank they give this advice, and at the tiny size they are in the fish shop, to the unsuspecting, this would seem fine.

Algenco
07-30-2007, 01:24 AM
bristlenose are a pleco that reaches a max size of 5-6" only aggressive with members of their own species. Fairly easy to breed

RobbieG
07-30-2007, 01:45 AM
I've got one and it sure looks like a pleco - a lot of places seem to use the names (pleco and cat) interchangeably.

kimmers318
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Keep in mind too that the albino bristlenose pleco for some reason usually tops out around 4 inches making it an even better choice for smaller tanks. Bristlenose are wonderful little workers and will keep a tank clean all by themselves without outgrowing most tanks. The best part is they don't seem to forget algae in place of plenty of other food or as they get older like some of the larger plecos do.
If you have easy access get one, you won't be disappointed. Around here it is uncommon to find them and the only store I have seen them at charges like $18 for them!!! I am currently looking for one as we moved the rescue plec to the 90 gallon now that it is about 7".

Fishguy2727
07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Plecostomus is really only one species in the genus Hypostomus. It is the common name to just about any H. plecostomus like sucker catfish. There are many types of fish called catfish, the sucker catfish, cories, loaches, the 'true' catfish with long barbels, etc. I think we all have an idea of the shape of a 'pleco', and any of the species (even from other genera) that have a sucker mouth and the same or similar body shape may be commonly called a pleco, or have pleco in the common name. To be very strict, plecostomus is only the species called Hypostomus plecostomus, with a common name of common pleco. But in common usage, it is many more species than that.

crackatinny
07-31-2007, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I don't understand with so many saying they want a pleco but don't have the room, why they don't opt for a bristlenose.

Kimmers I thought our local fish prices was expensive, you can get bristlenoses here for a few dollars, only very tiny, the lFS has some very nice coloured ones at the moment for AU$8.50, I thought that was expensive, I might have to check bristlenoses out again.

Anyone know how to sex bristlenoses? and is it possible at about an inch? will an albino and a regular colour breed?

Algenco
07-31-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I don't understand with so many saying they want a pleco but don't have the room, why they don't opt for a bristlenose.

Kimmers I thought our local fish prices was expensive, you can get bristlenoses here for a few dollars, only very tiny, the lFS has some very nice coloured ones at the moment for AU$8.50, I thought that was expensive, I might have to check bristlenoses out again.

Anyone know how to sex bristlenoses? and is it possible at about an inch? will an albino and a regular colour breed?

Albino will breed with regular BN. Sexing can only be done when they start to grow the bristles. Males look as though they have a bush on their face