PDA

View Full Version : How fast do cherry shrimp grow?

angel_love
08-15-2011, 01:03 AM
I just got a bag of cherry shrimp from the auction, they announced it as a dozen cherry shrimp and when I got home I found there was actually more like 30 babies, some are so small I could barely see them. Can anyone tell me how fast they grow? I'm afraid to vacuum the sand lol.

dbosman
08-15-2011, 02:31 AM
They grow both slower and faster than you want them to.

What most people do is accept some loss and slowly move the siphon tube so you startle them away while you vacuum. Let the bucket you use to siphon into, sit for a few minutes, then slowly pour it out while keeping any eye on the water. If you see shrimp, pour the remaining water through a net to catch them.

Another alternative is slow, but effective. Put a wad of filter floss or filter sponge in the siphon tube. It won't pull much in the way of solids, but it will stir them up for your filter to catch.

Lady Hobbs
08-15-2011, 04:29 AM
I do this when I change my water.

korith
08-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Juvenile shrimp ship better than adult shrimp. So many times you'll find people will ship the smaller shrimp instead. Another reason is some shippers like to hold onto their adult shrimp, so they can keep pumping out baby shrimp:p I usually send out a mixed bag of adults and juveniles, along with a berried adult. So really just depends on the shipper.

In any tanks where I have both shrimp and fish, if I use the gravel vac, i put the end of the hose into a bucket. That way I catch look over the bucket in case any shrimp got sucked up.

If its a shrimp only tank, I don't gravel vac the bottom of the tank. If its a small tank a turkey baster works well, to pick up any excess waste. Normally I just use a fountain cup to remove water quickly and adding new water to avoid sucking up any shrimp.

angel_love
08-16-2011, 12:25 AM
I do this when I change my water.

Lol lady hobbs that just looks wrong ....

Good advice guys thanks!

chrisfraser05
08-16-2011, 06:54 AM
shrimp belong in a heavly planted tank therefore you shouldn't need to do any gravel/sand cleaning!

cherries are pretty quick growers, I started with about 25 in Feb in my big tank.

I now have about 200+ and have seen LOADS of fully grown adults :)

angel_love
08-21-2011, 01:42 AM
shrimp belong in a heavly planted tank therefore you shouldn't need to do any gravel/sand cleaning!

cherries are pretty quick growers, I started with about 25 in Feb in my big tank.

I now have about 200+ and have seen LOADS of fully grown adults :)

Ugh I have a ton of java moss and some fake plants and my original shrimp are just fine. I wasn't planning on doing a shrimp tank but it just ended up that way when I realized how many were in the bag. The only fish in there are pygmy cories, they are quite happy together, they even share algae wafers.

chrisfraser05
08-21-2011, 08:21 AM
lovely :) :) :)

Shrimp and corys are really interesting to watch... I love em!!!

Furface
08-24-2011, 01:03 PM
The goal is developing a tank where you never have to vaccuum the gravel. My shrimp tank has been going 2 years without it, I simply do partial water changes with a suspended siphon tube and clean the filter. If too much debris is piling up, you are likely feeding too much. Otherwise, shrimp are good at cleaning up everything.

superbsite
08-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Juvenile shrimps will also shed their skins so dont mistake them for a dead ones