PDA

View Full Version : Apple snails

TowBoater
07-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Ok, I got a few problem with mine. I have a wad of eggs on the back of my tank. I guess it crawled out last night and layed them. I put a canister of water under it to catch them when they hatch, if they hatch. I got to wondering how they got out of my tank and I found a spot by my filter that was large enough for the snail to get out of. I noticed I was missing one as well and I found it on the floor with it's door really far in the shell. I quickly put it back in the tank, will it make it or is it dead? How long can they go with no water?

jeffs99dime
07-30-2007, 12:45 AM
apple snails can go for multiple days with no water. also, it's not uncommon for them to "hide" in their shell for days or even weeks without coming out. you just have to wait and see what happens with the snail that made it out of the tank. it's very probable that the snail is fine:ezpi_wink1:

TowBoater
07-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Cool!! Thanks bud!! I hope them eggs hatch, I have a specimen container with a little water under it to catch them as they hatch out. I might raise them up and see what happens.

YaYgoldFish
07-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Yeah, just be careful because apple snails multiply REALLY fast..You might want to put some tape or something to block the hole too.

TowBoater
07-30-2007, 01:36 AM
I thought tape was bad for the tank?

YaYgoldFish
07-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Ive used that big clear tape you use to tape boxes. Maybe its just as long as it doesn't touch the water its fine...never heard of people sayign tape was bad tho.

Rue
07-30-2007, 05:01 AM
If you search...I just posted about a snail I found out of water after 2 weeks or more...and it's fine...

I got tired of kamikazee snails...but I used plastic closepins to barricade the openings instead...

TowBoater
07-30-2007, 11:11 AM
It moved last night, everything is fine, thanks again!!!

jeffs99dime
07-30-2007, 01:11 PM
no problem. :ezpi_wink1: