PDA

View Full Version : Small Question

lpxaudio
07-29-2007, 09:15 AM
i finally got my tank to cycle and have 9 cichlids in the tank all happy, thanks to everyone who helped me out.

I have read that most of the ammonia and nitrite coverting bacterias are located in the filters (i have marineland penguin 350 and 200). If this is true, when i change out the filters wont my tank spike in ammonia and nitrite all over again?

thanks in advance

nanaglen2001
07-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Do I understand correctly you hacve 2 filters running to clean one tank?

If yes there is no problem at all. You clean one filter, then you still have the bacteria in the other filter, and maybe after 2 or 3 weeks you clean the other. In the meantime, bacteria have established in the other filter. So there is no interuption at all. And no Amonia peak.

Spyder
07-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Plus Nitrifying bacteria grows on the gravel, rocks, ornaments, glass, not only in the filter. When you clean the filter rinse the media in tank water and it won't be lost. If you rinse it under chlorinated tap water it would be lost.

Fishguy2727
07-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Actually, since you have Biowheels most will be in them, which should never need maintenance. But it still would not be a bad idea to do one filter cartridge at a time. Just remember that each one needs to be changed monthly, so since you have three cartridges you should be messing with one every ten days. There are some bacteria in other places in the tank, but almost all will be in the filters. But it is fine since you have Biowheels.

Jedu
07-29-2007, 10:55 PM
If your filters have bio-wheels you should never have to clean them.

The filter has two parts.. a mechanical and a biological, the mechanical is the carbon inserts which I believe (in the penguin ones) are blue square plastic things, and the biological is the spinning wheel.

The carbon filters should be replaced monthly or as soon as water starts coming out the overflow area. The spinning wheels will grow your bacteria on them, do not clean those. If you do remove them, then your cycle will probably start over again.

lpxaudio
07-30-2007, 02:22 AM
thanks everyone, oh man it is costly to run this tank :sbiggrin:
anyone know an online store where i can buy the filters in bulk?

Fishguy2727
07-30-2007, 12:39 PM
drsfostersmith.com
bigalsonline.com
thatpetplace.com

niqolas619
07-31-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't run the carbon filters in my tank - always heard they did more harm than good in everyday applications. I use just regular filter pad that is a few feet for under $10. I just rinse one off per week during my water change. I'll change them whenever they start to just fall apart, but they're still holding up well now on month 4 or so.

lpxaudio
08-01-2007, 07:01 AM
wat are the pros and cons of using the carbon filters?

Drumachine09
08-01-2007, 07:04 AM
wat are the pros and cons of using the carbon filters?

No one really knows a whole lot, becasue there is some conflicting information, but here is what i have been told.

Pros:
Crystal clear water
Water doesnt smell
removes medications

Cons:
Contributes to hole in head disease
Uses valuable nutrients plants need
only works for a week
If used to remove medications, and left in too long, it could leech them back into the water.

lpxaudio
08-01-2007, 08:53 AM
it looks like the pros seem really useful, if i do no change the filters after a month of use will it do more harm than it will help?

Lady Hobbs
08-01-2007, 09:13 AM
The carbon will no longer be effective but the pad will still catch debris. When they need cleaning, just swish them off in water from the tank when doing your water changes.

Cichlid_Man
08-01-2007, 10:53 AM
I went back to using carbon in my filters.
There are nutrients to add for plants if that is a concern.
Bottom line...
Carbon is needed in an aquarium to keep toxins minimal.
It's cheap. Just change it weekly when you do water changes.

Fishguy2727
08-01-2007, 02:53 PM
The pros of clarity and smell should not be a problem if enough water changes are done. Some people's tap may have more toxins, but in that case it would be better to use carbon before the toxin filled water hits the tank. Carbon is not needed in general, but under certain circumstances it may be.