PDA

View Full Version : How does one use the quote function?

mermaidwannabe
08-08-2011, 03:09 AM
When I select and highlight the passage I wish to quote, then click on the quote button, the entire post appears in the reply box and not just the passage I selected. Do I need to click on "quote" first, then select the passage, and then click on "quote" again to close the quotation? What are the steps for using this function?

-- mermaidwannabe

genocidex
08-08-2011, 03:18 AM
to use the quotes, use the button without selecting anything and just delete what you dont want in the quote. should be simple like that :)

enjoy

Trillianne
08-08-2011, 04:15 PM
You can also make something a quote by simply including it within quote brackets like so (remove the space right after the [ bracket to make it work):

[ quote]
Text I want to quote
[ /quote]

Which will look like:

Hey looking a quote!

If you want to have a specific name of the person your are quoting then make the first bracket a:

[ quote=NAME] where the name is the person you are quoting.

Which will look like:

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

mermaidwannabe
08-08-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm a little confused. You said to remove the space right after the left quote bracket [, yet in the examples you've shown, I still see the space after it. And I still don't understand how to actually get the desired text to show up in the reply box. Do I type the opening quote bracket [ into the reply box, type in the passage I wish to quote word for word and type in the closing quote bracket ] afterwards, or do I click on the "quote" button and then select the passage I want quoted, and that passage will automatically appear in the reply box? None of this is being made clear to me. Also, do I need to click the "quote" button twice -- once to open the quote and again to close it?

Seems it should be simple, the these explanations aren't.

-- mermaid

mermaidwannabe
08-08-2011, 05:05 PM
By "select" the passage I want to quote, I mean highlighting it with the cursor. Would I first click the quote button, then highlight the desired passage, the click the quote button again? Would this make the quote automatically appear in the reply box, and ONLY the highlighted text and not any of the rest of the post?

-- mermaid

Trillianne
08-08-2011, 05:11 PM
In order to type the quote bracket so you can read it and it doesn't quote anything I have to put in a space. Without the space the brackets I was showing you would have been invisible for you to see and thus... not very helpful.

[ quote] <-- remove space at the front; this is the OPENING of the quote section, like the initial "

Then you paste what you want to quote in the middle.

[ /quote] <-- remove the space at the front; this bracket with the / before the word quote is the Closing of the quote section like the ending "

The only thing between the [ and the ] is the word "quote" in the opening bracket and "/quote" in the closing bracket.

That function (the opening and closing bracket) is what the Quote button above (looks like a chat bubble) does for you when you highlight the section you want to quote within your own post as you are typing it up.

The quote button at the bottom of a post, does the exact same thing (automatically adding the quote tags)but it uses the entire post and adds the quote brackets to them. The button is used to quote the entire post. If you want to quote less then you need to delete the parts you don't want to quote from between the quote brackets. You can not highlight from someones post and then press the quote button to just get a partial quote. The quote button at the bottom will ALWAYS quote the whole post

Lady Hobbs
08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Just click on quote and take out all but the main line you want to quote. Sometimes people go nuts with the quoting feature and quote every darned post or every line. Sometimes quote a big long post and rely: "I agree." Drives us nuts. LOL Sometimes easier to just write:

@Hobbs....
@Tom......
@Sally.......

Reading everything twice is annoying as heck and not condusive to using cellular phones that so many use now.

mermaidwannabe
08-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Got it! Thanks, folks!

-- mermaid