PDA

View Full Version : Tail twiching

sombereyes1
07-28-2007, 09:57 PM
I've noticed lately that when my Oscars sit together they alternate twitching their tails. They so it when they see each other also. Its like a small spasm in the tail fin. They aren't being agressive when they do it..

Anyone know why they do this?

I'm hoping its a sign that they could be a pair.

DISCIPLE
10-10-2007, 04:10 PM
I've noticed lately that when my Oscars sit together they alternate twitching their tails. They so it when they see each other also. Its like a small spasm in the tail fin. They aren't being agressive when they do it..

MINE DO TRHAT TOO..LOL. I THOUGHT IT WAS A A COMMUNICATION THING OR SOMETHING. ITS LIKE A SHUDDER OR A NERVE LIKE TWITCHING.

CAF
10-10-2007, 11:53 PM
I've seen cichlids shudder and shimmer for each other, but haven't noticed the behavior you are speaking of... sorry.

oscarchad
10-11-2007, 10:37 PM
My oscar does the same thing and he is the only one in the tank. Does anyone know why it would do this? Another question is my oscar can vary his color to pale grey to dark black areas. He is mostly orange with black

oscarchad
10-11-2007, 10:41 PM
coloring. Boy this sounds stupid...He's a tiger oscar. Hello to everyone and thanks for the forum.

deckard_wa
10-11-2007, 11:23 PM

It's not necessarily a sign that they are a pair, but it's a sign that they are compatible at least. I've always assumed it to be some kind of communication when mine have done it.

As for oscarchad's question about colouring, they change their colour frequently depending on their mood, as you watch them and their colours change you will soon be able to tell how they are feeling by how they look.