PDA

View Full Version : Moving an aquarium

redbourn
08-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Within the next few weeks I will have to move a 35 gallon aquarium to a new location.

It will only be a 15-20 minute drive.

Heating will not be a problem as it will be over 80F outside.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Lady Hobbs
08-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Everything needs to come out of it. Do not even try to move it without removing everything. Same as moving it across the room, really. Put all the fish in a storage bin. They're be just fine for that short time. Add an airstone when you arrive at your destination until you can get the tank set up again. You need not move water.

korith
08-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Depending on how big the fish are, bag them like stores do when they sell you the fish. Put them into a styrofoam cooler if you like, or just in any sort of bin if it's a short trip. If it's a larger fish, you just put it into a bucket. Like hobbs said, no point in moving the water. Just keep the filter media wet/moist, so you can avoid having to cycle the tank again. At most you might go through a mini cycle.

redbourn
08-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Thank you both.

I'm glad I asked because I was tempted to at least leave the gravel in, and perhaps just a little water and the fish.

I posted because I was concerned about the weight and also damaging the aquarium.

The fish are are not "big".

Michael