PDA

View Full Version : Ich on my Pleco?

areyouready
08-05-2011, 01:35 AM
My tank had an outburst of Ich that ended up killing my already old betta. I'm not sure if my Pleco still has it or if it's just his coloring? I am still treating the tank with Ich Attack. It's in a tank with 2 zebra danios which don't have any ich on them anymore which is why i'm asking about the pleco. They are in a 10 gallon tank, and yes, I know exactly how big Plecos get. But I have a deal set up with my local pet shop, once he outgrows his tank he can be traded in for a small pleco for free since apparently people would rather have a giant one than a small one. I tested everything in the tank (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc.) they are all perfect.

There are two pictures, one taken with flash, one without. If you can tell me if he still has Ich or not please do. I would really appreciate it.
I still need to continue treatment if he doesn't for a day or two longer, but I need to know when I should start my 2-3 days after Ich is gone timeline.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h273/loveandvampires/P1080104.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h273/loveandvampires/P1080103.jpg

Strider199
08-05-2011, 01:44 AM
Those pictures are nice but it's difficult to tell if the pleco has Ick or not. It's usually easier to see on the fins.

Question; how long have you been treating the tank and at what temperature?

With what did you treat the tank with?

Ick has a shelf life depending on the temperature of the tank. The life cycle of the parasite has a free swimming stage which is when they can be killed off.

areyouready
08-05-2011, 01:47 AM
The tank has been at 80 degrees since I spotted the Ich, it's usually at 78. I have been treating the tank since Last Thursday, so exactly one week. I tried getting a picture of his fins but he just won't extend them. He keeps them tucked in to his sides.

areyouready
08-05-2011, 02:06 AM
I've been treating twice a day, the recommended dosage of Ick Attack.

Strider199
08-05-2011, 02:11 AM
One week is not enough areyouready. I would do a partial water change and treat the tank again for another week to make sure those little pests are gone.

areyouready
08-05-2011, 02:15 AM
I do a 20% water change every other day. I did a huge one yesterday since My Betta died in there. I feel like there are... I don't know death particles in a tank when a fish dies so I usually do a 100% water change and with the Ich I did that to get rid of the dead bugs on the bottom.

I'll keep treating until I'm positive they're gone. I was just wondering if it's Ich or if it's just my Plecos coloring.

Strider199
08-05-2011, 02:25 AM
I would be carefully with doing a 100% water change. Sorry I couldn't tell by the pic's if your pleco has ick or not. I am just basing my advice on the life cycle of ich and the med's affect. Remember when your treating your tank, the med's are waiting for the little free swimming parasites that have fallen off the fish and have hatched so dont be doing more water changes than the bottles instructions say. Let the med's do there job.

areyouready
08-05-2011, 02:31 AM
I will definitely be careful with the water changes, and not to say you're wrong or "diss" your advice or anything but the bottle says to only do a water change when the ich is completely gone and you have stopped medication, and everyone else i've talked to or other posts I've read, no one agrees with that. They all said to do a water change every few days, some said to do a water change every day! I thought by doing a 20% every other day or so was going to be okay. They say to do them with a gravel vac so you can suck up the dead parasites. Which is what I have been using to do my water changes.

There is just so much contradictory advice out there I don't know what to do anymore!

Strider199
08-05-2011, 02:35 AM
I was just worried about you doing 100% water change when your fish may be in a stressfull condition from the ick. I agree with doing a 20% water change every other day to as you said, suck up the little critters.

areyouready
08-05-2011, 02:39 AM
Oh ok. The reasons I did the 100% was because of the Ick for one and two, my Betta died in there and if she had some other ... I don't know infection or disease or something I wanted to get rid of all the bad juju (I don't know what else to call it. Haha) that was in the water. I don't do them otherwise and I took every measure to make sure they were safe and that they were acclimated to the fresh water properly with water conditioner and fresh Ick medication.