PDA

View Full Version : want cleaner water

fish4me98
08-04-2011, 06:30 PM
i fiqured out about a year ago that if you have and external filiter that has an intake nozzle you can go to lowes or any home improvmentt store and get a grouting sponge let it sit in water for a day wash it cut a section off so that it covers ALL THE INTAKE HOLES and this will let bb grow and will make your water cleaner really works.

Lady Hobbs
08-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Pre-filter sponges help keep any filter cleaner. Many of us use them by just cutting a hole in a sponge and sliding it over the intake.

SkipW
08-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Filter sponges are probably cheaper than a grout sponge, will not restrict the flow, and no chance of any chemicals added to the sponge.

Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should. If it's not an expensive item then I don't see the value for the DIY.

rodm81
08-04-2011, 08:49 PM
So u just cut a hole in a regular sponge ant put it on? What is the end result thickness wise?

Lady Hobbs
08-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Little skinny household sponges won't work. I picked up a sponge at the fish store and cut it into pieces with my electric knife. I also save the sponges when I replace those in my Aqua Clear filters, bleach them, clean them out good, let them dry and save them for something later.....generally for this purpose or to cut up and put into other filters.

fish4me98
08-04-2011, 10:40 PM
So u just cut a hole in a regular sponge ant put it on? What is the end result thickness wise?
well you have to cut it into reasonable pieces and put on on and make sure it covers all the holes

Kayfish
08-05-2011, 12:49 AM
So Hobbs, You cut a piece of sponge and place it over the intake and this helps keep the filter cleaner? Is this the sole purpose or does it accomplish something else? Does it then naturally keep the water cleaner? Does it effect the BB? Also lets say about a 2" cube of sponge for a 3/4" intake? Sorry for the over the top amount of questions but this is new and interesting to ME.

fish4me98
08-05-2011, 01:58 AM
well you have to cut it into reasonable pieces and put on on and make sure it covers all the holes
and not a kitchen, sponge gorouting or a fish filiter sponge

SkipW
08-05-2011, 12:15 PM
You can buy a pre-filter sponge like this one
http://www.petmountain.com/product/mechanical-media/11442-504216/marineland-foam-pre-filter-replacement.html

or make your own from a regular filter sponge. I use an AquaClear 50 sponge.

http://www.petmountain.com/product/mechanical-media/11442-512933/aquaclear-aquaclear-foam-inserts.html

Cut it to the length you want, then with a sharp knife, cut an X in the top so you can slip the intake tube into it.