PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a smaller type of Pleco.

AquaticLove
08-04-2011, 05:38 AM
I unfortunatly do not know very much about plecos, so what better place to ask about them.

As of this instance I have 2 Tiger Oscars (fairly small 2-3 inches) in a 29gal. They will be moved to a bigger tank once they get larger.

I am wondering what type of pleco I should be keeping an eye out for while my tank, for lack of better wording, "collects some grime". :) The only thing I know is that I should NOT get a common pleco, as they get unbelievably large.

I appreciate any help that you guys can give me. :)

mommy1
08-04-2011, 05:42 AM
If you are thinking of smaller pleco's to house in the 29g when the oscars are moved into their bigger home, look up clown plecos and rubberlip plecos.

AquaticLove
08-04-2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks, and any you would recommend to take along with the Oscars?

mommy1
08-04-2011, 06:00 AM
I'm not a big fan of pleco's so I'm not too familiar with all the different species. Look here and see what you can find. I would find one that gets about 8-10 inches providing your tank is big enough.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/numbers.php?mode=l&thumbs=16

One thing to keep in mind, oscars grow fast and many plecos do not. So if you are getting a pleco for your oscar tank, don't get a very young one unless you are planning to grow it out some in a different tank.

AquaticLove
08-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Thanks for your help, you know more about Plecos than I do so that has already helped. ;)

Thanks again for the advice.

mommy1
08-04-2011, 06:08 AM
You are welcome. Hang around fish keepers who are as obsessed as you are about this hobby and you tend to learn a few things. Even about the fish you aren't all that fond of. :ssmile:

Spidyman
08-04-2011, 07:05 AM
If you are getting a larger tank for the oscars then a comman pleco would be fish and just to let you know your looking at a 125 min for the Oscar alone so a com pleco would be fine.

bignellm
08-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Well, it's not exactly a Pleco, but is a suckermouth catfish. You could choose some Otocinclus catfish and not worry about them outgrowing the tank. Stays about 1 1/2" tops. Pretty much good clean up crew.

AquaticLove
08-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Oh okay, I was planning on about that size for the Oscars, just all the stories about the common pleco kinda scared me off about him. Especially since I heard they produce high wastes and as they get older they don't eat algae anymore? As I said I don't know much about plecos. :/

Spidyman
08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Ya I have heard the they stop eating algea when they get older but I know there are some species that eat it their whole life. They do produce a lot of waste but with oscars you will have to overfilter to the max already cause they are just as messy. The pleco also does not take up much swimming room so you will not need to up the tank size much.
As for the actual fish maybe not a common pleco but there are so many to choose from. But the point was you are not really limited on the size of pleco. I would look at planetcatfish and see what species you like the best.

Dave66
08-04-2011, 04:32 PM
There are over 750 species in the Loricariad family, from one inch species to four foot plecos. One of the Peckoltia genus would suit your needs, as they reach four inches and are too armored for the Oscars to mess with. They are also nocturnal, and should be fed at night.

Dave

Kriblover
08-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I have a panda garra (not a pleco) and a leopard pleco (I think). They are both great fish. Love em to death. Just great fish. You should look them up. That us your best bet. All search engines will help you a lot.

So research. Any of the plecos. Just look. That's all you can do

AquaticLove
08-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I looked up so many plecos, however it seems there is a lack of information on most sites and any good information is hard to come by for the type of plecos I would need.

I appreciate all the help, thanks again everyone. Now I just have to find a pet store around here which would sell or order one of the Peckoltia genus species.

Dave66
08-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Peckoltia vittata is the most commonly available of the genus, and is fairly easy to find. They have a tan body with dark brown striping. If the shops you go to don't have it, you can ask them to order one for you. If you pay half first they are far more likely to get it for you.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?species=peckoltia+vittata&image_id=1208

Dave

AquaticLove
08-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Awesome thank you, when the time comes to introduce one into my tank I will certainly ask them about ordering.

toddnbecka
08-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Bristlenose pleco's eat algae throughout their lives. Clown pleco's and other species of Panaques require wood in their diet, and actually poop sawdust, making them harder to clean up after than most fish. Otocinclus are best suited to larger, well-established planted tanks, kept in groups. Not a very hardy fish in general. Hypancistrus pleco's are popular, somewhat expensive, and typically never seen by day. For that matter, clown pleco's are also generally invisible, as are most nocturnal species. Aside from BN or green phantom pleco's most are omnivorous, and will usually do well on whatever you feed the other fish. BN do need some veggies occaisonally, and Panaques will die w/out wood in their diet.