PDA

View Full Version : Help with garbage bag DIY background

tropfish
07-28-2007, 06:10 PM
I hate the SW background on my FW tank. So today i tried to use vaseline and a black garbage back. I put a layer of vaseline on the glass and put the unopened garbage bag on it. (i went throught 3 trashbags, because as soon as they open its impossible to use the gift card to get all the air bubbles out.) Andyway 3 trashbags and an hour later i gave up and put the sw backround back on. How do you get the bubbles out of this backround? I had gottin one half done really ewasily, but the other half was proving more dfficult and i don't know why. Does anyone kno how to do this?? I don't wanyt to waste money with those cheap store bought ones, and i want a black one to match my gravel. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Drumachine09
07-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Only use ONE layer of the trashbag. Cut it to fit your tank. Use a credit card to spread the vasillne into a thin layer. Then apply the garbage bag. Cut a peice of cardboard to the exact heighth of the glass part (not black trim). Use that from left to right. It might take more than one pass.

tropfish
07-28-2007, 06:49 PM
ok thanks drum! i'll go try it

Drumachine09
07-28-2007, 06:58 PM
ok thanks drum! i'll go try it

Anytime! :thumb:

tropfish
07-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Well i'm done. There are still some wrinkles that i oculdn't get out but overall i think it looks pretty good, the wrinkles even give it a little bit of a cracked rock look. i'll psot a pic as soon as its done uploading

tropfish
07-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Here it is!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x156/AxBenvenuto/tmpphpGalYPY.jpg

The tank looks coudy in the pic but is not lol

I think i did ok, but thats because i ra noutta trashbags. When we get fresh ones i'm gonna try to get it really smooth. But tis still better thne the SW background

Drumachine09
07-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Cool! Black backgrounds really bring out the colors of fish.

gm72
07-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Looking very nice, great job!

MeganL3985
07-29-2007, 02:05 AM
Thats cool! :)

Just an idea (popped into my head right now).....have you thought about using a black latex paint? Like the stuff that some girls in the mags paint on themselves to make it look like clothing? It probably won't run when wet, probably just peels off when your done with it? Lol I dunno...just something I thought of quickly.

gm72
07-29-2007, 02:22 AM
Great thought, Megan!

Incredulous_Ed
07-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Lookin' good!

tropfish
07-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks ed

megan do you mean to paint on the tank? You can use acrylic too, you have to do 3-4 coats and then it comes off with water and a cloth. The problem with that is my tank is against a wall with about 4 inches of space between the wall and the tank, which makes that hard.

Lady Hobbs
07-29-2007, 02:05 PM
I saw in the drugstore the other day posterboard that's styrofoam. I thought now that would be neat for the back of a tank and water proof besides. It could be painted however you wanted and should not have air pockets when applied.

MeganL3985
07-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks ed

megan do you mean to paint on the tank? You can use acrylic too, you have to do 3-4 coats and then it comes off with water and a cloth. The problem with that is my tank is against a wall with about 4 inches of space between the wall and the tank, which makes that hard.

Yes, paint the back with a black latex body paint. It won't run when wet, it has to be peeled off. The acrylic wouldn't be bad except for that it comes off with water. I wouldn't want water getting on it and it dripping black water/paint onto the floor. As for the 4 inches of room you could buy one of the small sponge rollers/applicators from a craft store. They're not very big at all.....maybe tape something like a ruler on it to give the handle some extra length. Might take a little longer that way, but I dont think it would be that bad. I like Lady Hobbs idea about painting a styrofoam posterboard though. Sounds neat and easy.

Lady Hobbs
07-29-2007, 02:24 PM
I just painted my 10 gallon with Acyrlic semi-gloss water base. Is that a no-no or will it be OK? I'm going to do a background in this tank so if some comes off it's no problem but I was just wondering.

Drumachine09
07-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I just did a tank with satin krylon fusion last night. Works wonderfully, except you have to mask of the sides and top to prevent overspray.

Rue
07-30-2007, 05:19 AM
...after looking at many tanks...

...of all the 'cheap' backgrounds...I think I'll stick with run-of-the-mill printed ones...

...the guy I bought the 55g from used some kind of oil on the back to adhere his background and I couldn't get it off...and although paints scrape off, I can't be bothered...I'd rather buy a background that I can easily change when I have to...