View Full Version : how do you lower ammonia

fish4me98
08-03-2011, 07:21 PM
i have ammonia and i use tap water and i just did a big water change which
killed a lot of filter bacteria and hence rasied the ammonia my tap has clorine
and i dont have de clorinators

Brhino
08-03-2011, 07:23 PM
why are you starting a new thread to address a question we're answering in your previous thread?

You need to go out and get a water conditioning product. There are plenty to chose from. They're not expensive. Go get one ASAP. Do water changes with conditioned water to lower your ammonia and allow your beneficial bacteria to recover.

bignellm
08-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Go to store if you have the cash and buy Tetra AquaSafe for about 2.99-3.99
Then do large water change of 50%

Can't get around it, water change is your best solution.

FishFreak2012
08-03-2011, 07:32 PM
WATER CHANGES!!! that is pretty much the only solution, take it from me.

hollysangels
08-03-2011, 08:19 PM
The best ammonia REMOVER!, not neutralizer on the market is Aqua Sciences ChlorAm-X.(available as a liquid or a powder, I buy the powder) It removes chlorine/chloramines and ammonia. It is far superior to SeaChems Prime. Believe me I found out the hard way, I recently moved from a town that had wonderful artesian well water, a little high in pH and hardness but manageable. Did water changes for 40+ years never a problem, never had to check water, or add anything, then moved to a nearby town served by United Water Co(NNJ) with surface reservoirs. When my prized angelfish of all sizes started dying especially after large water changes, I discovered that my tap water had ammonia readings of, on a good day(rarely) 0.50ppm ammonia, to a more typical 1.0-1.5ppm to an outrageous level on some days of 4.0-5.0ppm, and pH levels of sometimes 8.8-9.0 which makes ammonia especially toxic I now have 160gl of pretreat vessels(32gl rubbermaid garbage pails) for my 22 tanks. I lost over $2000 of breeder angels and other various sizes. obviously you can treat a pail of water at a time if you so choose. I swear by this particular product(and it's sister product Ultimate). No I do not work for the Co! Hope this helps relaying my unfortunate story.Also looking in to RO units for the future.

MCools
08-03-2011, 09:17 PM
The best ammonia REMOVER!, not neutralizer on the market is Aqua Sciences ChlorAm-X.(available as a liquid or a powder, I buy the powder) It removes chlorine/chloramines and ammonia. It is far superior to SeaChems Prime. Believe me I found out the hard way, I recently moved from a town that had wonderful artesian well water, a little high in pH and hardness but manageable. Did water changes for 40+ years never a problem, never had to check water, or add anything, then moved to a nearby town served by United Water Co(NNJ) with surface reservoirs. When my prized angelfish of all sizes started dying especially after large water changes, I discovered that my tap water had ammonia readings of, on a good day(rarely) 0.50ppm ammonia, to a more typical 1.0-1.5ppm to an outrageous level on some days of 4.0-5.0ppm, and pH levels of sometimes 8.8-9.0 which makes ammonia especially toxic I now have 160gl of pretreat vessels(32gl rubbermaid garbage pails) for my 22 tanks.

You need something to neutralize, not remove, or your tank will never cycle.

Odds are your water has chloramine which will read as ammonia on most test kits. Even if it is ammonia you still only want to neutralize it not completely remove it.

fish4me98
08-03-2011, 10:07 PM
so i think im gonna get the aquasafe would a place like walmart have that
i never buy fish thier but i somtimes get food or gravel

Cliff
08-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Prime is another good product to use. Its a dechlorinater and it will also make your ammoina less topic for your fish while still leaving it for your cycle

mommy1
08-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Why are you doing water changes if you don't have any dechlorinator?
Now that you've added water without treating it first, you have basically sent your tank back into cycling, if it was finished cycling at all.
Make sure you start testing it for ammonia and nitrites every day and be prepared to do a lot more water changes while if finishes cycling or re-cycling, what ever the case may be. And don't forget to add dechlorinator to every water change!

bignellm
08-04-2011, 12:58 AM
so i think im gonna get the aquasafe would a place like walmart have that
i never buy fish thier but i somtimes get food or gravel

Walmart should have Tetra AquaSafe. Yes.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Aquasafe-3.38-oz/16935660
Just found it on their site. So, definitely is on their shelves normally.

fish4me98
08-04-2011, 01:00 AM
i bought aqua safe and did a 50% water change which sould put my tank back on track
thanks for everyones helpthumbs2:

bignellm
08-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Back on track, now to deal with your recycle:22:

fish4me98
08-04-2011, 01:05 AM
thanks so much everyone:19:

fish4me98
08-04-2011, 01:07 AM
my tank sould now be on track again
i havent used a water conditer for the yr and a half before and thier hasnt been problems though
but ill stick to the aquasafe

bignellm
08-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Just take it easy, no new fish, keep eye on Ammonia, Nitrite Levels for next couple weeks. Change water daily to keep Ammonia on the low.