PDA

View Full Version : convict fry care questions and pics

dunkard_trapper
07-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Hello all
My convicts have spawned and now I have a bunch of fry. I never saw the eggs or the wriggler stage must have been in the pot. I just noticed them last night. So I don't know how old they are but I'm guessing 3 or 4 days. I plan on feeding them crushed flake food. I stuck a bio bag over the filter intake cause the parents decided to spawn directly in front of the filter. When will they start eating the crushed flake? and when should I consider moving them out of the tank / How fast will the grow?
thanks in advance
ma and pa with fry
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/dunkard_trapper/convictfrywithdadandmom.jpg
ma with fry
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/dunkard_trapper/convictfryandmom2.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/dunkard_trapper/convictfryandmom.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/dunkard_trapper/convictfry.jpg

Drumachine09
07-28-2007, 02:33 PM
You will have a better survival rate if you move them to a seperate tank. Freshly hatched baby brine shrimp are also a good food for the fry.

Fishguy2727
07-29-2007, 12:11 AM
I used Hikari Guppy Food to feed convict and platy fry, then moved to crushed TetraMin Pro Crisps, which was very successful. It is easier to move the parents than the fry. I would remove the parents once the fry are free swimming.

dunkard_trapper
07-31-2007, 09:22 PM
All the fry are nowhere to be seen. and the parents have a very bland appearence, stripping not well defined overall grayish. They are also less aggressive (relatively). Does this happen or should I be worried about tank conditions

nanaglen2001
08-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Why remove the fry??

Its absolutely not necessesary. And even when you loose the whole bunch, its no tragedy, cause once Cichlids found out about the fun of babymaking, they will do it all over again, especially Convicts.:ezpi_wink1:

Try decapsuled Artemia eggs, great fry food too. Put the stuff into warm water, let it in there for some Minutes, then put it into an syringe, andthen inject the stuff right into the middle of the babybunch.

But be careful about your hands, Conficts are great parents, they might bite (no joke).

crackatinny
08-01-2007, 07:39 AM
I have raised 2 batches of convict fry leaving them with the parents and feeding finely crushed flakes.

Hailey
08-24-2007, 01:41 AM
I have the same thing going on with me, i never got to see the eggs or the wriggler stage and now i don't know how old they are. I don't know if i should start feeding them yet or not. Plus my fry are below the filter and i'm afraid they will get sucked up. I don't know what to use so they don't get sucked away. Any help or tips would be great!

Hailey
08-24-2007, 06:16 AM
I have the same thing going on with me, i never got to see the eggs or the wriggler stage and now i don't know how old they are. I don't know if i should start feeding them yet or not. Plus my fry are below the filter and i'm afraid they will get sucked up. I don't know what to use so they don't get sucked away. Any help or tips would be great!

So nevermind. Within a couple hours they are all out and swimming (well sort of) they are all in the middle of the tank being carefully watched by thier parents. I crushed up some flakes into a powder and put that in as the same time i normally fed the other fish, and it worked:19: . I watched and I could see the fry eating. The only thing is now that thier in the middle of the tank they are being eaten by the 3 other small convicts in the tank. The 3 are gettin beat up pretty badly and I don't know what to do. I don't have another tank that I could put them in, so I guess I will just have to see if they survive.

Also, how many babies do you think will survive? If its too many I don't know what I'm going to do with them.

crackatinny
08-24-2007, 08:06 AM
You may see the parents chase one that gets away from the group, grab it in its mouth bring it back and spit it back into the group, they are great parents (mine was anyway)

squirt_12
08-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Congrats On The Fry!!!!!!!

Sowilu
08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
But be careful about your hands, Conficts are great parents, they might bite (no joke).

Had that happend to me when I had my Cons. They don't bite too hard but they do bite.

I never took my Cons. out they stayed in and they never ate the young ones well except on one occasion but I think that was because something was wrong with the fry, did feed them on a regular schedule. I had two succesfull batches but I had to humanely euthenize one batch because they were 1 inch and I could not find a home for them. Now the parents are rehome and I have started fresh with a planted community tank.

crackatinny
08-24-2007, 01:26 PM
LOL, I heard a yell from our loungeroom just tonight, my wife had her hand in our convict pair tank, though at the moment they do not have fry, she said our male white convict bit her LMAO, I said did it hurt, she said not really, but it shocked me. I will believe her and not test it, I have felt the vibration when they attack a net, LOL.

Hailey
08-24-2007, 11:05 PM
You may see the parents chase one that gets away from the group, grab it in its mouth bring it back and spit it back into the group, they are great parents (mine was anyway)

Yes I see them doing it all the time, its pretty cute.
But my other 3 in the tank and the pleco isn't doing good at all. I don't have anyother tank to put them in. I used to have a 20 gal hexagon tank, but when me and my boyfriend tried to look for it it was gone. I only have a large goldfish bowl left and 2 other little goldfish tanks. So i guess i'll just have to see what happens.