PDA

View Full Version : Two setup questions

Fyrehawk
08-02-2011, 12:24 PM
1) how long does it take mopani wood to leech the tannins out by simple soak and change method

2) i seem to have rising ammonia levels in a tank that I am fish less cycling and I can't figure out the source. I have five newly purchased plants ( they were in pretty poor shape but I cleaned them up and they seem better) and that's it. My nitrites are starting to rise but my ammonia went from around 2 to nearly four over the past 24 hours. Any ideas?

Fisharefriends27
08-02-2011, 12:29 PM
1) there is no set amount of time. Sometimes a week, sometimes a couple months. My Malaysian dw I think took 3 months not sure, but I know it took a few months
2) if you picked of the dead parts Im not sure. Maybe there was a part you missed? If your using fish food to cycle maybe some of it still is decaying? Not sure on this one, but think that's what it could be(either of them for #2)

Fyrehawk
08-03-2011, 02:10 AM
Well good news. Just tested and ammonia is down to 3.0 ppm nitrites are up a bit to .5 ppm and I am seeing nitrates for the first time at 20 + ppm. So we are doing well.

Thanks for the feedback.