PDA

View Full Version : why ebay WHY !!!!!!

genocidex
07-31-2011, 08:42 PM
so i had my bid in for these power plug socket, my bid was 1.50. i know thats a load of money OMG lol. any ways, so i had my max bid as 1.50 and the bids where 0.15 when i did this. today they bids ended at .55 and i didnt win it ?!?!?!?!?! wth ebay. i said my bid would go as high as 1.50 >.> now i have to wait another 2 days for the next one to end. NOT COOL

Spidyman
07-31-2011, 08:44 PM
That is why I like to do it manually, espesialy at the end. Good luck on the next one.

Lady Hobbs
07-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Not sure what happened. I always put in a max bid and do nothing more.

bignellm
07-31-2011, 09:15 PM
I've not tried Ebay. Not even sure where to begin on that one.

chrisfraser05
07-31-2011, 09:18 PM
I've never had a problem with that either!

Had many problems with sellers and ebay customer lack of support though!

genocidex
07-31-2011, 09:25 PM
ive only had 3 bad sellers in my entire history. and this is the fist time ive lost with a bid lower than my max bid .....

Goes to 11!
07-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Almost has to be some random ghost in the machine.

Think about it, Why would the seller take less than the highest bid for it? They really lose out if it happens repeatedly.

bignellm
07-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Almost has to be some random ghost in the machine.

Think about it, Why would the seller take less than the highest bid for it? They really lose out if it happens repeatedly.

Maybe the Internet and servers were down from the area. Nothing IT works 100% of the time, unless billions are at stake on it's working.

MCools
07-31-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't know how that max bid thing works.

I do know the last time my husband tried to buy anything on ebay every bid he placed was out-bid by $1 within a minute of his bid. Obviously he didn't win, and it also put a very sour taste in his mouth over ebay now...(probably a good thing, lol:hmm3grin2orange: )

Goes to 11!
08-01-2011, 12:40 AM
That just means that someone else had previously put up a higher max bid than he reached.

The system automatically re-ups the bid by the increment chosen by the seller until it reaches the max.

Apparently someone else was willing to pay more than he was, You'll have that at an auction. :hmm3grin2orange:

In a case like that, Just cut to the chase and put in the highest you are willing to pay for whatever it is and if the other bidder went higher you will be immediately outbid and you can shop elsewhere. If they didn't go higher you will be the top bidder.

This saves a lot of time.

Or . . You could always esnipe. (http://www.esnipe.com/)

genocidex
08-01-2011, 01:18 AM
no my issue is i lost this bid for less than my max bid >.>

Goes to 11!
08-01-2011, 01:35 AM
no my issue is i lost this bid for less than my max bid >.>
My first post addressed that, I think it was just a snafu of some sort.

The latter one was replying to Mcools about how the max bid works.

genocidex
08-01-2011, 01:38 AM
oh ok lol

im thinking it the last bid was placed litteraly when the bid ended and the system didnt one up >.>

Goes to 11!
08-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Ah - 'Too late' - Been there, Done that lol.

Rue
08-01-2011, 03:46 PM
I haven't used eBay for years...but I still never understood the bidding fully.

Let's say I really want something and can't sit and bid on it...so I put in a maximum bid.

Ex. I want to buy Item X. Bidding is around $1. I put in a max. bid fo $10.

Bidding ends around $5...and I win. Do I then pay only the $5, or do they charge me my max. bid of $10?

SkipW
08-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Check the listing closely .... That happened to me once and then I noticed that the seller actually cancelled the item at the last minute. They are allowed to do this for some reasons, like the item is no longer available, etc... but I'm sure this person did it because they were not getting enough for it. They even re-listed it a week later.
If they did pull the item, you should report it to ebay. If someone gets enough complaints against them, they will revoke their privileges.

SkipW
08-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I haven't used eBay for years...but I still never understood the bidding fully.

Let's say I really want something and can't sit and bid on it...so I put in a maximum bid.

Ex. I want to buy Item X. Bidding is around $1. I put in a max. bid fo $10.

Bidding ends around $5...and I win. Do I then pay only the $5, or do they charge me my max. bid of $10?

You would get it for $5
The bidding gets raised in increments. So if the increment is set to 50 cents and you bid a max of $10, the price would be the second highest bid + 50 cents. For you to win it and have to pay the full $10, someone else would of had to bid $9.50.
If someone else bid $12.50 and you were the second highest bidder, they would get it for $10.50

Rue
08-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Excellent. Thank you.

I was always scared to bid a bit higher, because I thought they might take ALL of it if I offered it.

Shoot! Now I could have had those items I really wanted and lost out on! :fish2: