PDA

View Full Version : xp3 with Sponge prefilter ?

hungryhound
07-28-2007, 02:22 AM
i have a couple of questions about my filter set up on my 30 gallon shrimp tank. On this tank I am running a Rena Filstar Xp3 with a sponge prefilter over the intake to keep the baby shrimp from being sucked up into the filter. I have been running this setup for a couple months and have noticed some problems and would like some advise on how to fix it.

The sponge prefilter works wonderful in that it catches everything and when I open up my filter to do tank cleaning it looks clear. It has a tendency to clog rather quickly and I have to rinse out the sponge every 3 to 4 days.

here is a picture of the tank in question with a picture of the prefilter on the right.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb221/amp4221/aquarium%20blog/a227.07052.jpg

The biggest problem that I experience is that the filter volume per hour is extremely slow with the sponge on there and comes to a near stop when the filter is full.

Do you think that this will cause damage to the filter?

Is there a better method to keep the shrimp babies from going into the filter without slowing down my flow rate so drastically?

I do not know if this is a result of the reduced flow rate, but the XP3 has a constant mist of fine bubbles coming out of the spray bar.

Could this be a result of the filter working so hard to pull in the water that it is pulling in air form one of my weaker seals?

I have burped it and jostled it and checked and tightened every hose on the filter but nothing I have done seems to work.

Any advise on how to fix this problem or information on if this is going to cause undue wear and tear on my filter would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Drumachine09
07-28-2007, 02:27 AM
Well, when you add hoses and stuff to a canister filter, it decreases its GPH. But when you add a pre filter to the inlet, it decreases it again. Its having to strain to pull that water though the sponge so hard, that its quite possible that it is pulling air from a weak seal. When was the last time you replaced your O-rings?

Another way to keep babies from getting sucked into the filter is using a nylon stocking over the intake. Its not the best as a pre filter, but it will keep them out of the filter.

Chrona
07-28-2007, 02:34 AM
I tried a fine sponge prefilter for my HOB and noticed the same thing. Esp if you have plants that can decay and plug the filter, it'll get blocked up really easily. I just switched to a coarser foam, which, while it may suck up some babies, I don't have to change it for quite a while. Sponge filter maybe? Heh

hungryhound
07-28-2007, 02:41 AM
okay thanks for the information guys. I may have to see what I can find tomorrow in terms of a course sponge. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Chrona
07-28-2007, 02:42 AM
I used the replacement sponges for the AC filters, though you may need something bigger.

hungryhound
07-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Yeah I looked at those filters before I got what I did but they did not look like they would work.

Now that I think about it my parents pond pump had a course prefilter. So I think I will check out Lowes garden section for something suitable.

Drumachine09
07-28-2007, 02:50 AM
Yeah I looked at those filters before I got what I did but they did not look like they would work.

Now that I think about it my parents pond pump had a course prefilter. So I think I will check out Lowes garden section for something suitable.

That reminds me.

I was looking at the 35 gallon pond setups walmart had, and they had a sponge prefilter that i guess would be called coarse.

Lady Hobbs
07-28-2007, 03:16 AM
Your tank looks awesome and your plants have gone nuts.

gm72
07-28-2007, 03:42 PM
Hungry, that is a beautiful tank.

I use prefilters on all of my filters (both HOBs and canisters) in all of my tanks and don't see any appreciable drop in flow unless the sponges are getting full, in which case I rinse thoroughly. I find I have to do this about every 2-3 weeks. I can't quite see which sponge filter you are using.

I use one of these, the cells are far more open than any of the other sponges I have come across.
http://www.aquariumguys.com/lupr.html

hungryhound
07-28-2007, 03:47 PM
i am using a very fine sponge that drops in flow immediately and then to zero in few days after it gets full.

i am using one of these.

http://www.invertsupplies.co.uk/images/main/interpetsponge.jpg

gm72
07-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Never saw one like that. Quite a contraption. I recommend you try out one like I linked you to. They really work well and as I said do not appreciably drop flow until they really start to get gunked up. Take it to the sink, rinse thoroughly, and you're ready to roll again.

hungryhound
07-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Never saw one like that. Quite a contraption.

I do not use the entire contraption. Just the sponge slid on to the intake of my filter.

I recommend you try out one like I linked you to. They really work well and as I said do not appreciably drop flow until they really start to get gunked up. Take it to the sink, rinse thoroughly, and you're ready to roll again.

I may try your sponge. a quick search of the net gave it good reviews, but It is 15 dollars shipped. I think I might see what i can find first locally, but if push comes to shove I will bite the bullet and order it.

hungryhound
07-29-2007, 02:02 PM
I went out yesterday and tried to find a new sponge. I struck out at Lowes but was able find something at my LFS. The sponges for the Ac 50 looked about the right size and were 1.99 so I figured I would give it a try. I brought it home stuck a knife in it to create a cavity and stuck my intake into it and hooked it up.

The difference was immediate. With the old sponge I had the flow rate turned up to the max and was getting nothing. With the new sponge my shrimp were getting blown around like rag dolls.

Now the only problem is that it is a bright yellow sponge and is an eyesore. But my wife made moss ropes (see blog for questions) and I was able to hide it a little. I do want to get a black sponge, but now I know how course it needs to be.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Barbarossa4122
10-07-2010, 09:01 PM
I went out yesterday and tried to find a new sponge. I struck out at Lowes but was able find something at my LFS. The sponges for the Ac 50 looked about the right size and were 1.99 so I figured I would give it a try. I brought it home stuck a knife in it to create a cavity and stuck my intake into it and hooked it up.

The difference was immediate. With the old sponge I had the flow rate turned up to the max and was getting nothing. With the new sponge my shrimp were getting blown around like rag dolls.

Now the only problem is that it is a bright yellow sponge and is an eyesore. But my wife made moss ropes (see blog for questions) and I was able to hide it a little. I do want to get a black sponge, but now I know how course it needs to be.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hi hungryhound,

I just did that with AC70 foam blocks for my Rena xp filters. Flow is the same. Thanks for the idea. hungryhound.