PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Chain Swords

bignellm
07-29-2011, 10:21 PM
I've just received this plant real cheap.
Chain store fought me over just wanting the few daughter plants, wanted me to pay full price...despite fact the plant wasn't on their prices lists!?!?!

Anyway, got the 5 or daughters for less than the mama plant... about 1.99
I think it should've been 0.50, but hey, is cheaper. I looked them up and see they are a moderate to high light plant and they look a little pale in my tank. Not exactly the Dark Green everyone says.

On a plus side, I moved my Amazon and noticed it isn't dying anymore. It had roots 5" long!?!?! That's tons better than it was. Also, found out the full size it can grow... OMG?! Almost a full foot in length, height and width? I need a bigger tank.

smaug
07-29-2011, 11:35 PM
That doesnt look much like chain swords I have kept.

bignellm
07-30-2011, 02:12 AM
Well, if it's not, it was a line of daughter plants, growing from a parent in a pot at the store. I do think they were deprived of light there, as they appear whitish in my tank. The Parent did look like the Dwarf Chain Sword. I bought only the daughter plants to get a better deal.

MCHRKiller
07-30-2011, 03:13 AM
I have 2 amazon swords in my 100G which are growing out of the tank....the tank is 2ft tall and they are literally shoved into an area which is about 18"Lx12"W. I also remove 6-8 leaves from them each week to keep them confined to that space. They are huge plants, and it would not be uncommon for a large amazon sword to have roots several feet in length.

Pygmy Chain Sword does require atleast moderate light as most true foreground plants, they also do best when given a good concentration of CO2. At this point those plants are looking more like a sag than a chain sword IMO. Could as you say just be from poor care at the LFS, time will tell.

bignellm
07-30-2011, 01:05 PM
I have 2 amazon swords in my 100G which are growing out of the tank....the tank is 2ft tall and they are literally shoved into an area which is about 18"Lx12"W. I also remove 6-8 leaves from them each week to keep them confined to that space. They are huge plants, and it would not be uncommon for a large amazon sword to have roots several feet in length.

Pygmy Chain Sword does require atleast moderate light as most true foreground plants, they also do best when given a good concentration of CO2. At this point those plants are looking more like a sag than a chain sword IMO. Could as you say just be from poor care at the LFS, time will tell.

sag? Not familiar with that term.

bignellm
07-30-2011, 01:23 PM
As for their care or should I say mandated neglect on all things, this is a prime example of one of their tank setups. Hopefully is a clear picture and shows some detail below.

MCools
07-30-2011, 01:31 PM
That's Meijer, isn't it?

I really wish they would stop selling fish! The one by me mysteriously lost all their stock one day and instead of culling the obviously dieing fish they let them stay in the tank till they died. When I asked about it (I was HORRIFIED to see the tanks that day) they claimed they got a bad (diseased) shipment.

I had a thread about that down in diseases somewhere...

bignellm
07-30-2011, 01:37 PM
That's Meijer, isn't it?

I really wish they would stop selling fish! The one by me mysteriously lost all their stock one day and instead of culling the obviously dieing fish they let them stay in the tank till they died. When I asked about it (I was HORRIFIED to see the tanks that day) they claimed they got a bad (diseased) shipment.

I had a thread about that down in diseases somewhere...

Of course that is the number one aquaric/animal abusers in the state. I've seen soo many horrific things in those tanks. Snails in with comets, who have nipped at bitten at them soo much they never come out of shells, which are slowly deteriorating around them. (Had to rescue the one, who looked alive from the tank in picture)

Then fish who have 7-8 dead in their tanks, rotting, that they are feeding on as well. Pretty much 80% of fish I have, I rescued from these clowns. Just yesterday, I was watching as they sold a pest snail to a kid, as a mystery snail. It was a MTS, which had grown large in their tank.

MCools
07-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Yeah, the one near us had some really bad tanks for a looooooong time. Then just as it looked like they got someone competent to take over the fish dept. they had that massive die off.

There was one dead fish in a tank for so long my son started to refer to it as the 'zombie fish'. They also had a deformed parrot fish in there for close to a year (can you imagine in that tiny tank?) before they started to clean thing up.

bignellm
07-30-2011, 01:51 PM
They probably have a huge case of Old Tank Syndrome. Put one in clean water, it'll probably die of shock.

The one near me, has had chinese algae eaters, and has one that is about 6" now left over. It's in with Guppy and some 2" Clown Loaches. Half the tanks have a bad case of Blue/Green Algae, the other have casualties decomposing.

MCHRKiller
07-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Sounds like a local walmart I have.

Dwarf Sagittaria, most people just call it Sag.

bignellm
07-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Sounds like a local walmart I have.

Dwarf Sagittaria, most people just call it Sag.

After reading up on that one, it sounds like I may not know what I have is for sure. Seems like it could be either. The leaves on it, sprout from the center in a very circular pattern and they all seemed to be attached to one runner, going in one direction when I bought it.