PDA

View Full Version : Does this familiar to any one?

Greymane
07-28-2007, 01:01 AM
My roommate and I have started two tanks so far:

30 gal #1:
8 - Neon Tetras
2 - Gold Barbs
1 - Pleco
1 - Harlequin Rasbora
2 - Serpae Tetras
1 - Veiled Angel
2 - Neon Tuxedo guppies (both male)
2 - Sunburst Wag Platys
2 - Red Mickey Mouse Platys

30 gal #2
1-Bala Shark
4-Buenos Aires Tetras
2-Silver Dollars
1-Chinese Algae Eater
2-Gouramies (1 4" and 1.5")

The first problem I experienced was the Pleco in tank #1 died... replaced him. The second one died... then found that the Harlequin Raspbora had developed a white spot on one side approx half the size of a pencil eraser... I tested the chemistry of the tank and all was aok... treated the water with Melafix... next morning the Harlequin was dead... then lost two neon tetras... then three more neons... lost 3 of the 4 Platys... lost one Neon Tuxedo Guppy.

Today I have have developed a problem in the second tank. First the Bala Shark died... I noticed that the Buenos Aires were all congregating at the top of the tank near the bio-filter overflow along with the Chinese Algae Eater. The Buenos Aires seemed to be hiding behind the filter outlet and the tank. A little later as I shooed the out from behind the filter outlet, I noticed that 3 of the 4 Buenos had white spots developing at the top of their back along their dorsal fins. Trying to inspect them closer is difficult as I am undecided whether it is scales flaking off because they have rubbed the back of the filter or if it is a disease. I treated the water with Melafix just in case. The white spots have increased in number on all three fish. The chemistry of the water is tested every day and all is ok. I have added Stress Coat to the water and added aquarium salt in the appropriate amount.

We have a 10 gal quarantine tank available, and have a 20 gal, another 30 gal and a 55 gal that we plan to set up, but don't wish to proceed until we have figured out this problem.

I have been reading all I can online and cannot find anything that refers to these things... suggestions anyone.

I have attached a pic of the white spots on the Buenos (sorry its blurred, but you can see the white spots anyway)

Drumachine09
07-28-2007, 01:03 AM
The white spots are probobly ich.

Did you cycle your tanks?

Greymane
07-28-2007, 01:14 AM
yes we have cycled the tanks

Drumachine09
07-28-2007, 01:16 AM
What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite)

Did you do fishless cycling, or fish cycling?

RobbieG
07-28-2007, 01:38 AM
The white spots are probobly ich.

Did you cycle your tanks?

Looks like it to me too.

Greymane
07-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Ammonia is 0; Nitrate is 30; Nitrite is 0; ph is 7.0 we have been doing fish cycling

Drumachine09
07-28-2007, 01:42 AM
Ammonia is 0; Nitrate is 30; Nitrite is 0; ph is 7.0 we have been doing fish cycling

"we have been" as in, you still are cycling?

Greymane
07-28-2007, 02:02 AM
we started one tank... then the other... have only had these up now for 10-14 days.

Drumachine09
07-28-2007, 02:05 AM
Well, from the readings, it appears they have already cycled, no nitrites, no ammonia. Nitrates are a bit high, so id advise a waterchange.

Heres my diagnosis:

Your fish probobly died from ammonia or nitrite poisoning during the cycle. The fish that didnt die, were stressed. Because they were stressed, that made them more susceptible to disease. Because Ich is ALWAYS present in EVERY tank, the protazoans chose the stressed ones as easy targets.

I would remove carbon from your filters, and treat for ich.

Greymane
07-28-2007, 03:19 AM
Thanks... just did that now

Lady Hobbs
07-28-2007, 03:24 AM
You need to do a water change to reduce those nitrates. 10 is plenty with 20 tops.

Your bala will not do well in that 30 gallon. They get very large and are social fish wanting to be with others of their own. Large as in a foot. Pleco's often die in new tanks. There is nothing for them to eat yet. Those also get HUGE. 16-18 INCHES sometimes.

You are pretty heavily stocked and I advise large water changes weekly.

ICK looks like they're been dusted with a salt shaker. Fungus is larger spots appearing like cotton at times. I couldn't tell from your pic which it is.

gm72
07-28-2007, 03:35 PM
I agree with Lady Hobbs. Your stocking is pretty high and your fish aren't in the best place given what they generally prefer. What kind of filtration is on these tanks?